Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Why join MGSF?
  • MGSF is officially the internet's largest MGS discussion board. So, you can enjoy your time with an active community of dedicated MGS fans.
  • Want more than just MGS talk? MGSF has a huge off-topic section for Opinions, Sport, Music, Movies, and other video games!
  • Organizations! Create your own or join an existing one. Organizations are sub-communities of the forum designed so you can gather with your closest friends on the board.
  • Blog! As a member, you have the ability to create your own blog on the forum for other users and/or guests to read.
  • Our forum also has an Arts sections for you to express your creative side, as well as a Digital Art forum in the computer corner.
  • We also have a Kojima Productions forum for members who wish to discuss KP-related issues outside of MGS.
Join our community today!

If you are already a member, please log in to your account to access all of your features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
MGS3 Camouflage Specs; Camo History & Special Abilities
Topic Started: Dec 30 2007, 06:30:48 AM (1,683 Views)
invalidsnake
Member Avatar
Jail Guard

I wanted to open a topic to discuss the different Camo in MGS3 - (namely Subsistence)

Anyone who has Snake Eater can tell you there is a ton of different camo you can collect in the game, and that if you have Subsitence you have the ability to "download" Camo from the game disc that are otherwise unavailable in the normal game. Camo is found throughout the game & are rewarded for stamina killing Bosses. In MGS3, (and in some ways like their real life counterparts) Certain Camo gives the player special abilities while wearing it.

I have provided some information below regarding the history of Camouflage. Below that is info on MGS3 camo found throughout the game, Boss Camo, and then selected Camo from the downloadable content available.

- iNVALiD -
Snake: Unfortunately, killing is one of those things that get easier the more you do it.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

invalidsnake
Member Avatar
Jail Guard
A Brief History of Camouflage:

The word Camouflage comes from the french, "camoufler", which means "to blind or veil". It was nearing the end of the 19th Century when American artist, Abbott Thayer, made some striking observations that may have lead to the development of modern camouflage. Thayer noted that many animals had a graduation from dark to light areas that broke up their shape and made it harder see their silhouette. Thus making them look flat and less 3 dimensional. This fact proved to be key in development of modern camouflage.
Historically, leading up to the 19th Century, Soldiers used bright colors on the battlefield, carried war drums, horns, flags and marched to fight in formation. The idea of camouflage was not encouraged as it went against the basic rules of war.
Times changed, and so did the warfront. Around 1915 the French Army invented, or rather adapted, camouflage for human use. Olive Drab had long been the only uniform worn by the US military, and during W.W.1, Soldier camouflage began it's development.

There are arguably only two types of visual 1-to-1 camouflage categories. (barring radar and other forms of detection)

General Resemblance (also called Cryptic Coloration) is the most commonly used form of camo in nature and by humans. It uses general colors and shapes to graduate the user into it's environment, thus blending them in to the surroundings. Animals use General Resemblance in their native habitat, so colors tend to be general to their environment. Modern Camo is obviously chosen to best suit the environment the person will be going to.

Special Resemblance is a category that is wide-ranging, yet extremely specific to it's intended use. it is employed by the most clandestine animals on earth... and by elite, convert human users. This category includes creatures that use mimicry such as the Walking Stick, which actually looks like a stick even at a close distance, The Leaf butterfly, which looks like a withered dead leaf, or even the docile Milk Snake which borrows its colors from the venomous Coral Snake (both of which are found in MGS3 by the way) to ward off potential predators. Human forms of Special Resemblance Camo is usually specific to the mission and combined with other General Resemblance techniques, such as some Navy Seal Suits, or the Marines' covert sniper suit, which looks like a bush or tuft of vegetation when the soldier is crouched or laying prone.

The new modern era of camouflage technology is using so called digital camouflage. CADPAT and MARPAT patterns are currently being deployed on soldiers in Iraq, Afghanistan, etc... these patterns have been used for some vehicles for decades, because they use the tried and true basic of the veil, and expand them by actually pixelating the lines between the different colors so that there are no solid lines on the soldiers' uniform. What's new is that the current uniforms have sensors on them so that fighters in the air know where the friendlies are. This is High Tech Camo.

So, just a brief history of Camo and its basic uses. Now on to MGS3.

- iNVALiD -
Snake: Unfortunately, killing is one of those things that get easier the more you do it.

invalidsnake
Member Avatar
Jail Guard
MGS3 Starting Camouflage: (at the start of a NEW game in MOST modes)

Naked - Not really camo, but lack thereof. You are more susceptible to catch a cold and are hurt easily. At least he keeps his pants on, unlike Raiden.

Olive Drab - Standard US Military attire. A single-color battle uniform for general infantry use. OD has no pattern so it's not much use as camouflage.

Tiger Stripe - Stirped camo pattern resembling a tiger's coat. Effective in wooded and grassy areas, as well as against soil and mud.

Leaf - Developed to provide cover in forested areas. Effective in underbrush.

Tree Bark - Camo pattern designed with hunters in mind. Pasted with photos of tree trunks and leafy branches. Effective when pressed against trees.

Squares - Camo patten consisting of an array of squares. Makes it difficult to distinguish the silhouette of the wearer. Effective against brown backgrounds. (could this be the Original digital camo?)

Black - Black Battle Uniform. Effective in the dark.

... you receive the following camo at the start of Operation Snake Eater

Flecktarn - A forest camo pattern designed in Germany that provides excellent cover in forested areas. [SPECIAL] Wearing it prevents battery drain

Auscam - A desert camo pattern designed in Australia that provides excellent cover against white backgrounds. [SPECIAL] Also, wearing it drops any damage to 2/3.

Desert Tiger - A Tiger-stripe pattern designed for desert environments. It is especially effective against brown backgrounds. [SPECIAL] Also, wearing it prevents an equipped suppressor from wearing out with use.

--- and after a cleared game

Tuxedo - A nod to Kojima's love of the James Bond character. if you want a challenge, try getting through the whole game while wearing only the tux.

invalidsnake
Member Avatar
Jail Guard
MGS3 Found Camouflage: (found throughout the different stages of the game)

Scientist - Uniform given to you by Eva to help infiltrate Graniny Gorki Lab. [SPECIAL] Wearing it can temporarily fool guards and others, that you are a scientist. also equips a pair of glasses to complete the look. Can't use conventional weapons or CQC, but you can use some items.

Raindrop - Used extensively in Eastern Europe. Effective in the rain.

GA-KO - [SPECIAL] Wearing it enables you to hear the Kerotan's Calling for a short time.

Croc Cap - Not considered camo by the game, but an item, [SPECIAL] that can fool dogs and soldiers that you are a crocodile if done correctly.

Chocolate Chip - (Choco Chip) Effective in desert or mountain environments. Gets its name from the shadows under the fake rock patterns on uniform that were said to look like chocolate chips. Was standard issue camo for American Soldiers of Operation Desert Storm in the Gulf War.

Splitter - Camo patten often used on German airplanes during World War II. Effective in urban environments.

Water - Used extensively by the old German Defense Force. Effective when underwater.

Fly - Stinky camo. A foul-smelling camo uniform. [SPECIAL] It smells so bad that it attract flies, but it also makes enemies think twice before coming in for a proximity encounter.

Snow - Designed to provide cover in snowy environments. Effective against white backgrounds.

Officer - General Raikov's (a.k.a. Raiden's) officer uniform. [SPECIAL] use with the mask to fool guards that you are Raikov. You can even punch them in the face and they'll salute you!

Sneaking Suit - [In MGS3, this sneaking suit is] the latest battle uniform developed by the Soviet Union. [SPECIAL] Cuts all damage in half and reduces stamina consumption.

Maintenance - Crew Uniform for workers in the Shagohod Hanger. [SPECIAL] Can temporarily fool guards and others that you are a worker.

invalidsnake
Member Avatar
Jail Guard
MGS3 Boss Camouflage: Acquired by stamina killing Bosses (w/ Mk22, Mosin Nagant, or CQC) All Boss Camo has special abilities.

Animals - Fur pattern, animal skin camo. Acquired by stamina "beating" Ocelot [SPECIAL] Wearing it removes any hand-shaking while aiming a gun.

Hornet Stripe - The Pain's camo. [SPECIAL] Wards off hornets, spiders, and leeches. Also allows wearer to tame hornets.

Spider - The Fear's camo. [SPECIAL] Gives the wearer stealth capability at the cost of stamina. (at least 80% coverage no matter where you are)

Moss - The End's camo. [SPECIAL] Gives wearer photosynthetic capabilities. (recharges stamina and life) Extremely effective in Svyatogornyj and Sokrovenno areas.

Fire - The Fury's camo. [SPECIAL] Reduces damage from flames and explosions by half.

Spirit - The Sorrow's camo. [SPECIAL] Eliminates footstep noise. Also allows wearer to drain stamina by choking enemies in CQC.

Cold War - Volgin's camo. [SPECIAL] Enemies from the Soviet side will hesitate to attack you from the front. (not the back, as the colors of the American flag are there)

Snake - Snake pattern camo. Acquired by stamina killing The Boss. [SPECIAL] Provides the ultimate cover in any environment. (minimum of 25% coverage anywhere, even while standing)

invalidsnake
Member Avatar
Jail Guard
MGS3 Downloadable Camo: Listed here are only camo that can be downloaded and that have special abilities. Please comment if you know any other downloaded camo that have other abilities. Some of these have rumors associated with them that I'd like to clear up with the help of other MGS players.

Grenade - [SPECIAL] This camo gives the wearer infinite grenades of any kind.

Mummy - [SPECIAL] This camo is rumored to cut damage to 50%. Can anyone confirm?

KLMK - [SPECIAL] This camo is rumored to buy you some time if you are engaged by Spetsnaz soldiers. They will hesitate to attack because you are wearing their camo. Can anyone confirm?

Night Desert - I haven't been able to test this in the game but, this camo's real life counterpart was designed to disrupt night vision. Helping the wearer to slip by areas monitored by Night Vision. hmm...

Any input or extras you guys/ girls have, please submit them. Thanks

- iNVALiD -

HolySpawn
Member Avatar
Praise The Sun!!

Dude u just 5x posted in the same day and like 1 min off of each post. You should of just edited the first post with all ur info. On another point thanks for posting this up. But most of us on MGSF know about the camos on MGS3 and Subsistence.

ҳҲҳ ħąđŷ ҳҲҳ

invalidsnake
Member Avatar
Jail Guard
Yeah, I know, I just thought it would be easier to read broken down than one mega post. Besides that, I do see a bunch of people getting into MGS for the first time, with all the hype surrounding MGS4.

Honestly, My whole point in posting this was only to see if anyone had extra info on downloaded camo, and any abilities they grant. Just thought I'd add some camo history while I was on the subject.

Next time I'll keep it to one post... sorry

- iNVALiD -

HolySpawn
Member Avatar
Praise The Sun!!

Its no problem at all man i was just saying because i can see that you are fairly new here. I dont mean to sound like an asshole.

ҳҲҳ ħąđŷ ҳҲҳ

ichbinscissors61
Member Avatar
*sleeps*

DPM - Got from all high scores on duel mode: normal. Is good camo for any wooded areas, and has the added bonus of being able to make you regenerate life at twice the speed.
Good camo in most outside areas until the mountains. DPM will always be with you after you unlock it.

I don't know all that much about the downloaded camos as yet, I'll have to give them more of a try.

And Spider will drop to 70% when running, just to give a bit of extra info.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Visit the Leaderboards and take on the best!

SweetRevenge
Member Avatar
Momentary Life

That is some nice info man but most of the people on the forum know about this.
Posted Image

invalidsnake
Member Avatar
Jail Guard
I didn't know about the DPM camo. I think I still have to get the Top Score against Volgin. I'll have to take care of that soon. Thanks!

Austin McLane
Jail Guard
You should add to the Riakov camo that you can punch them in the balls and KO them.

Rufio
Member Avatar
Raiden... Five years ago... That's not what I meant.
You can do that with any camo, any game. Groin punch = 1 Hit KO.
Posted Image
MAINTAINCAN'TMAINTAINCAN'TMAINTAIN

Mjr.Snake
Member Avatar
Need a light?
people who still don't know about camos should use this FAQ
its way more detailed and includes all camos ...
Posted Image

invalidsnake
Member Avatar
Jail Guard
Okay, this post is obviously not going to appeal to the vets of the MGS, I didn't see many posts on camo on the MGSforums so that's why its here... Not everyone who visits the site is a life long Metal Gear player like some of us. Isn't the reason for a forum, to help inform anyone who may come across it, whether they be in the pulse or not? I mean, i read a post from someone who didn't know how to save his game... Enough said.

So... back to topic... Does anyone have any input on downloaded camo? any extra benefits? that's what I'd like to know.

Thanks

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater · Next Topic »
Add Reply

User Color Code
Admin Global Moderator Forum Moderator Member Validating Banned