Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Why join MGSF?
  • MGSF is officially the internet's largest MGS discussion board. So, you can enjoy your time with an active community of dedicated MGS fans.
  • Want more than just MGS talk? MGSF has a huge off-topic section for Opinions, Sport, Music, Movies, and other video games!
  • Organizations! Create your own or join an existing one. Organizations are sub-communities of the forum designed so you can gather with your closest friends on the board.
  • Blog! As a member, you have the ability to create your own blog on the forum for other users and/or guests to read.
  • Our forum also has an Arts sections for you to express your creative side, as well as a Digital Art forum in the computer corner.
  • We also have a Kojima Productions forum for members who wish to discuss KP-related issues outside of MGS.
Join our community today!

If you are already a member, please log in to your account to access all of your features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
FOXHOUND Rank in Portable Ops; What are the requirements?
Topic Started: Nov 6 2011, 03:32:09 AM (2,385 Views)
TNFHOUND
Member Avatar
Jail Guard
Recently, I have busied myself with Portable Ops, an excellent yet extremely underrated Metal Gear Solid title. I've played through the game two times on Extreme and it was enjoyable (except for the Final boss fight).

The Only Rank I can obtain on Extreme seems to be Tsuchinoko (what's a Tsuchinoko?) and this came from doing perfect runs with no kills, alerts, re-starts or comrades lost. Am I missing something? I rarely used Medics or Rations at all in my playthroughs, and I only feel the need to save 5 times.

Is there a certain number of soldiers I must recruit as a requirement, and what is the restriction on times saved?

Thanks

Also, I'm playing the original game on storyline mode, not MPO+.
Edited by TNFHOUND, Nov 6 2011, 05:21:20 PM.
Are you an angel? Cos I feel like I'm in Outer Heaven!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Kazuhira Miller
Member Avatar
Last Remnant Army
i'm not sure about portable ops but, i know in mgs2 you had to win the game in under eight hours, you could not get noticed, you couldn't kill anyone, and you could not heal yourself.
Posted Image
The Lonely Fox Chases The One Eyed Hound
Join the LRA

TNFHOUND
Member Avatar
Jail Guard
Thanks for the response :) ah yes, in MGS2 the time requirement was 3 hours which already made it very difficult, however, the person who decided 8 saves was enough for MGS2 deserves a punch in the jaw. :P

Back to the topic at hand, I finally figured out most of the criteria for MPO. It is almost exactly the same as in Snake Eater (less than 5 hours, no alerts/kills/continues) except recovery items can be used, which helped me retain my sanity as it probably would've been impossible to stamina-kill Gene with a single health/stamina bar, and you also cannot lose any comrades (being killed whilst playing as bonus characters such as Ocelot will still count as a lost comrade).

The main necessary requirement to secure FOXHOUND in MPO is to recruit 100 or more comrades in a single play-through, which is more time consuming than difficult. I went to the airport stage before fighting Cunningham and with Major Zero and the Ga-ko Soldier, used the Cardboard Box trick to capture 4 enemies within a few minutes, adding up the total on paper as I did it. Also, the soldiers will only be counted as recruits once they accept to join your club.

Overall, I found this to be one of the easiest games in which to achieve the highest rank, it just takes preparation, knowing where to place spies and practice for some of the harder boss fights (Gene is possibly the most brutal final boss in the series on Extreme). This is still an incredible game that I strongly recommend, even though it's hard to get back into after playing PW. My final stats below.

Posted Image
Edited by TNFHOUND, Apr 2 2012, 11:01:50 PM.

Kestrel
Member Avatar
Lance Coconut
If you're still wondering what a tsuchinoko is.... click here
Posted Image
:gary:
Gary Town is Forever
#bringbackblack

DrEdArgon
Member Avatar
AKA The Game Eater!
Full requirements:

Difficulty: Extreme
Playtime: 5 hours or less
Times saved: 25 or less
Restarts: 0
Alerts: 0
Humans Killed: 0
Comrades Secured: 100 or more
Comrades Killed: 0
Posted Image
FoxHound Insider Battle Round 1 || YouTube Channel (WARNING! Autoplay)
Awards

Monday
Jail Guard
Peter Dinklage once referred to himself as Portable actor.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops · Next Topic »
Add Reply

User Color Code
Admin Global Moderator Forum Moderator Member Validating Banned