Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Why join MGSF?
  • MGSF is officially the internet's largest MGS discussion board. So, you can enjoy your time with an active community of dedicated MGS fans.
  • Want more than just MGS talk? MGSF has a huge off-topic section for Opinions, Sport, Music, Movies, and other video games!
  • Organizations! Create your own or join an existing one. Organizations are sub-communities of the forum designed so you can gather with your closest friends on the board.
  • Blog! As a member, you have the ability to create your own blog on the forum for other users and/or guests to read.
  • Our forum also has an Arts sections for you to express your creative side, as well as a Digital Art forum in the computer corner.
  • We also have a Kojima Productions forum for members who wish to discuss KP-related issues outside of MGS.
Join our community today!

If you are already a member, please log in to your account to access all of your features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
is Revengance canon?
Topic Started: Feb 21 2012, 06:29:01 PM (1,391 Views)
Viz
Member Avatar
Jail Guard
I'm pretty sure it's not canon.

"We've only said that the period setting is several years after MGS4. Metal Gear Rising is not part of the Metal Gear Solid series."

Even if that isn't a confirmation of it being non-canon, fans probably won't treat it as canon (similar to DMC2).
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Weedle_McHairybug
Hi-Tech Soldier
Viz
Mar 8 2012, 04:17:23 AM
I'm pretty sure it's not canon.

"We've only said that the period setting is several years after MGS4. Metal Gear Rising is not part of the Metal Gear Solid series."

Even if that isn't a confirmation of it being non-canon, fans probably won't treat it as canon (similar to DMC2).
And I repeat, does that mean that Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2 Solid Snake aren't canon, either?

Novitch
Member Avatar
IZANAGI!

Weedle_McHairybug
Mar 8 2012, 04:13:57 AM
novitchsnake
Mar 8 2012, 04:11:15 AM
jonhou
Mar 8 2012, 03:55:46 AM
novitchsnake
Mar 8 2012, 03:31:53 AM
jonhou
Mar 8 2012, 02:33:16 AM
novitchsnake
Mar 8 2012, 02:11:12 AM
The game bases itself after MGS4 but is NOT canon, It was even on the news here, were Kojima confirms it. And if my memory doesnt fail me he later said that he was planning on doing another traditional MGS down the road.

And you can clearly see that Raiden character has change a lot, not only physical but his personality, I cant even call him Raiden, Im glad that isnt cannon
Unless you have source for this it is still uncomfirmed.
www.lensoftruth.com/kojima-reveals-why-solid-was-dropped-from-revengances-title/

andriasang.com/comzba/mg_rising_details/#

So something that is not part of the series is not canon right?

srry for double post
First link doesn't work.
The second link just says it isn't part of the Solid series. That doesn't mean not canon.
And
article

We've only said that the period setting is several years after MGS4. Metal Gear Rising is not part of the Metal Gear Solid series. At present, we can't say more than this
If it isn't canon ehy can't they just say so instead of this?
www.lensoftruth.com/kojima-reveals-why-solid-was-dropped-from-revengances-title/

It should work now. and did you read my post?

Read my post above yours
So... does that mean Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake are non-canon as well? They aren't called "Metal Gear Solid," after all.

I did not only use the SOLID to RISING change to backup my claim I also use the RISING is not a sequel

Did Kojima said that MG and MG2 were NOT prequels? NO
But he DID said that RISING was NOT a sequel

The SOLID to RISING and not being a sequel, thats 2 strikes my friend

And BTW MG and MG2 are confirmed prequels and RISING is a confirm NONsequel SET after mgs4......errr. LOL?
Edited by Novitch, Mar 8 2012, 04:30:05 AM.

Weedle_McHairybug
Hi-Tech Soldier
novitchsnake
Mar 8 2012, 04:22:59 AM
Weedle_McHairybug
novitchsnake
jonhou
novitchsnake
jonhou
novitchsnake
Mar 8 2012, 02:11:12 AM
The game bases itself after MGS4 but is NOT canon, It was even on the news here, were Kojima confirms it. And if my memory doesnt fail me he later said that he was planning on doing another traditional MGS down the road.

And you can clearly see that Raiden character has change a lot, not only physical but his personality, I cant even call him Raiden, Im glad that isnt cannon
Unless you have source for this it is still uncomfirmed.

srry for double post
First link doesn't work.
The second link just says it isn't part of the Solid series. That doesn't mean not canon.
And
article

We've only said that the period setting is several years after MGS4. Metal Gear Rising is not part of the Metal Gear Solid series. At present, we can't say more than this

Read my post above yours
So... does that mean Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake are non-canon as well? They aren't called "Metal Gear Solid," after all.

I did not only use the SOLID to RISING change to backup my claim I also use the RISING is not a sequel

And BTW MG and MG2 are confirmed prequels and RISING is a confirm NONsequel SET after mgs4......errr. LOL?
Yeah, well, you can try telling that to editors such as Bluerock at Metal Gear Wiki. They're going to tell you that its still not confirmed to be non-canon, as they never explicitly stated its non-canon. I'm only trying to point that out.

Personally, I don't think Revengeance should be canon due to some story errors, but the problem is that unless it is explicitly stated to be non-canon, it can't be labelled as such.

Novitch
Member Avatar
IZANAGI!

Weedle_McHairybug
Mar 8 2012, 12:23:27 PM
novitchsnake
Weedle_McHairybug
novitchsnake
jonhou
novitchsnake
jonhou

Quoting limited to 7 levels deep

srry for double post
First link doesn't work.
And
article

Read my post above yours

Yeah, well, you can try telling that to editors such as Bluerock at Metal Gear Wiki. They're going to tell you that its still not confirmed to be non-canon, as they never explicitly stated its non-canon. I'm only trying to point that out.

Personally, I don't think Revengeance should be canon due to some story errors, but the problem is that unless it is explicitly stated to be non-canon, it can't be labelled as such.
If you want to hear from the oficials mouth that is cannon or not, then you will have to wait until the game is release and review the sales, beleive me. In a buissenes sense will not be wise by them to say is not canon, at least not now. Is not new that since the MGS saga has ended they intended to milk the saga by using the MGS in their titles to at least assure some sales, and since MGS:R failed.They were forced to change it to MGR

BTW the guys at wiki will not say whats cannon or not, I have read wikies that has had wrong content

Weedle_McHairybug
Hi-Tech Soldier
novitchsnake
Mar 8 2012, 04:11:52 PM
Weedle_McHairybug
novitchsnake
Weedle_McHairybug
novitchsnake
jonhou
novitchsnake

First link doesn't work.
And
article

Read my post above yours

If you want to hear from the oficials mouth that is cannon or not, then you will have to wait until the game is release and review the sales, beleive me.In a buissenes sense will not be wise by them to say is not canon, at least not now. Is not new that since the MGS saga has ended they intended to milk the saga by using the MGS in their titles to at least assure some sales, and since MGS:R failed.They were forced to change it to MGR

BTW the guys at wiki will not say whats cannon or not, I have read wikies that has had wrong content
Snake's Revenge, Ghost Babel, the Ac!d games, and possibly mobile were pretty quick to be declared non-canon, and it didn't impact their sales at all. Heck, Ghost Babel got very good reviews, and it was still made non-canon anyways. So no, I doubt sales would have any impact on whether it was actually canon or not. Besides, MG2:SS made significantly less money even in Japan, yet that was still canon, canon enough for it to be referenced in MGS, at least.

Novitch
Member Avatar
IZANAGI!

Weedle_McHairybug
Mar 8 2012, 04:15:03 PM
novitchsnake
Mar 8 2012, 04:11:52 PM
Weedle_McHairybug
novitchsnake
Weedle_McHairybug
novitchsnake
jonhou

Read my post above yours

If you want to hear from the oficials mouth that is cannon or not, then you will have to wait until the game is release and review the sales, beleive me.In a buissenes sense will not be wise by them to say is not canon, at least not now. Is not new that since the MGS saga has ended they intended to milk the saga by using the MGS in their titles to at least assure some sales, and since MGS:R failed.They were forced to change it to MGR

Snake's Revenge, Ghost Babel, the Ac!d games, and possibly mobile were pretty quick to be declared non-canon, and it didn't impact their sales at all. Heck, Ghost Babel got very good reviews, and it was still made non-canon anyways. So no, I doubt sales would have any impact on whether it was actually canon or not. Besides, MG2:SS made significantly less money even in Japan, yet that was still canon, canon enough for it to be referenced in MGS, at least.
The detail that you are missing is that RISING is a blockbuster game and the ACIDS and BABELS etc. were not on the same lvl. and they were dismissed as noncanon idmiedtly. They have RISING currently on a fog since is on another lvl and are expecting(crossing their fingers) big sales from it

BTW the MG2 low sales can be explained easily because MG bloomed cuz MGS1 on the PS from that point on MGS became a blockbuster title

freddiegibbs

This arguement is needless.

Metal Gear Rising is still unconfirmed as canon. Carry on believing it's one or the other if you want, but nothing is for sure yet, and that's a fact.

CardCaptorDeadpool
Member Avatar
One Fucking Psycho
Nyxus
Feb 21 2012, 10:30:19 PM
Mikey
Feb 21 2012, 10:26:51 PM
Sword
Feb 21 2012, 07:30:08 PM
LibertySon500
Feb 21 2012, 06:29:01 PM
if it is canon, i would like them to explain how he got back into a cyborg outfit, since if you remember in the end of mgs4, he got a human like robotic replacement..
No it's not canon but this is easy to explain. He still had a mechanical body at the end of MGS4, so it's just a matter of swapping out his head and spine.
Huh, I always interpreted that differently. I just thought that his body parts had been placed in cold storage then reattached that it was peace and that the war had ended. Hence the scars and whatnot. Been proven in the MGS universe that limbs can be transplanted and bodies placed in storage and re-animated.
No, I think his body parts were synthetic. You can see a bar code on his shoulder.

I dont think Raiden was still a cyborg at the end, like see the scars, plus those barcodes were tattoos he had, remember when they took his gear in Arsenal? he was covered in them
Posted Image

liquidraiden93
Member Avatar

...No

ballisticola

This thread is a joke right? :D

Rising originally was meant to fill in the gaps between MGS2 and MGS4, it's was being made by Kojima's "young blood". But they couldn't do it. So they moved it to another developer, who didn't want to deal with the story, so they set it after MGS4.

Why are people being so technical? Don't you have a brain to work it out? You can't write a story set for a VERY specific time period and then just move it.

And as people are being so technical, I may as well join in...MG and MG2SS are canon because they started the story...the only reason they don't have SOLID after their names is because they weren't...they were 2D games from 1987 & 1990...and as everybody knows SOLID was added because MGS was in 3D. Rising is in 3D, but doesn't have SOLID in it's name therefore it can't be in 3D...so must be one big conspiracy!!! :D
Posted Image
The Reformation of Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops - The Portable Ops Canon Debate
The Science of Metal Gear: Who is the dominant Snake?

OzwaldTheCrab
Member Avatar
on his dying words he prays: tell the world of Paschendale

My fellow Emurikkkans.

Yes.
Posted Image

jonhou
Member Avatar
Tengu Commando
ballisticola
Mar 9 2012, 12:23:10 AM
Why are people being so technical? Don't you have a brain to work it out? You can't write a story set for a VERY specific time period and then just move it.

And as people are being so technical, I may as well join in...MG and MG2SS are canon because they started the story...the only reason they don't have SOLID after their names is because they weren't...they were 2D games from 1987 & 1990...and as everybody knows SOLID was added because MGS was in 3D. Rising is in 3D, but doesn't have SOLID in it's name therefore it can't be in 3D...so must be one big conspiracy!!! :D
To be more techcal only one game in the series has been in 3D.

OzwaldTheCrab
Member Avatar
on his dying words he prays: tell the world of Paschendale

HEY! They all had dimension technically.

Posted Image

SEE? THAT'S VERY POORLY MADE 3RD DIMENSION!
Edited by OzwaldTheCrab, Mar 9 2012, 03:15:21 AM.
Posted Image

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance · Next Topic »
Add Reply

User Color Code
Admin Global Moderator Forum Moderator Member Validating Banned