Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Why join MGSF?
  • MGSF is officially the internet's largest MGS discussion board. So, you can enjoy your time with an active community of dedicated MGS fans.
  • Want more than just MGS talk? MGSF has a huge off-topic section for Opinions, Sport, Music, Movies, and other video games!
  • Organizations! Create your own or join an existing one. Organizations are sub-communities of the forum designed so you can gather with your closest friends on the board.
  • Blog! As a member, you have the ability to create your own blog on the forum for other users and/or guests to read.
  • Our forum also has an Arts sections for you to express your creative side, as well as a Digital Art forum in the computer corner.
  • We also have a Kojima Productions forum for members who wish to discuss KP-related issues outside of MGS.
Join our community today!

If you are already a member, please log in to your account to access all of your features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Who should be the voice actor for Big Boss?
David Hayter 104 (81.9%)
1 (0.8%)
Richard Doyle 22 (17.3%)
Total Votes: 127
The Great Debate: Who should be the voice actor for Big Boss?
Topic Started: Sep 2 2012, 11:46:03 AM (5,907 Views)
Ultimasnake
Member Avatar
In Slumber Until The Phantom Pain
Now I have noticed this has been a talking point in the announcements thread so I thought I'd make a special little place for it.

So who should claim the lead role for Big Boss in Ground Zeroes?
In my opinion, I think either one could fit the bill.

David Hayter:
One of the huge pro's for keeping David Hayter on board is that his voice has already been used in Snake Eater, Portable Ops & Peace Walker. Do you think it would break continuity to lose that voice? Also do you think Metal Gear would be the same with out David Hayter's voice behind the man? He proved in MGS4 that he can portray a more elderly version of Solid Snake, so he could quite easily take the foundations of the voice we once knew and take it further to the turning point as of the speech we heard in Peace Walker

Richard Doyle:
Richard Doyle was the voice actor who portrayed Big Boss at the end of Metal Gear Solid 4, I personally felt he did a terrific job in which made the moment one of the most memorable of the saga. The reason they got another voice actor was so in that scene you could distinguish his voice rather than having David Hayter cover both Solid Snake and Big Boss. I think if Richard Doyle was used it would serve great purpose in developing Big Boss as a character. The speech in the end of Peace Walker brought to rise the change we have wanted to see all along, so changing the voice actor now seems a suitable option if it is ever going to be done.

I don't know if the voice acting has been confirmed yet, even so related personal opinions are welcome. I am interested to know if in the trailer was it the Japanese voice actor who was Solid Snake in MGS4 or Big Boss in MGS4.

Let battle commence! :patriot:

EDIT: Hmmm seems the thread soiled up the voting system... in anycase I am more interested in explanations.
Edited by Ultimasnake, Mar 25 2014, 04:10:17 PM.
Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

DaSeala
Chip on his shoulder and shit for brains
Doyle.
Quote:

Weedle; inability to comprehend anything but the literal

Solid Snake The Great
Member Avatar
Strike Back
Considering the game (or at least the beginning of the game) takes place shortly after PW's conclusion, as proven by the fact Chico hasn't aged at all and as a child any ageing would show, I have to go with Hayter. Can't have Hayter in Peace Walker and then Doyle for GZ when the time difference between the games can only be a maximum of a year or so, but most likely much less, only a few months. I don't think it'd take MSF a year to find out Paz is alive and was rescued by a fisherman. So yeah, Hayter for me.

Posted Image
Posted Image
[Rules] [BBCode Usage Guide]

Old Snake
Member Avatar
R.I.P (G.J.V) Gary

Depending on how the story goes, they could have both actors i.e Hayter for the beginning of the game when he is still youngish and doyle towards the end after the climax prehaps 5 years down the track or something along those lines , but this is all going on the basis that snake ages over time and is old enough to have doyles voice towards the end.
Edited by Old Snake, Sep 2 2012, 11:59:14 AM.

Solid Snake The Great
Member Avatar
Strike Back
I can see Hayter making a big fuss over that idea. He was far from thrilled that they brought Doyle in for MGS4 as he wanted to voice Big Boss, even at the ripe old age of 79. I don't think they should even think about Doyle until either Big Boss reaches his fifties in game (assuming this is within a year of PW that would only make Big Boss 40) or Hayter's voice croaks from all the strain.

EDIT: Just had a look at David Hayter's Twitter page.

Quote:

David Hayter ‏@DavidBHayter

Hey Tweeps, I can't comment on Ground Zeroes… Beyond: What an incredible, photo-real, kick-ass fricken' trailer!
Edited by Solid Snake The Great, Sep 2 2012, 12:04:33 PM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Gouda Jouji
Light Infantry
In the demo he's voiced by Akio Otsuka, so David Hayter will voice him in English.

Shalasaska
Member Avatar
Light Infantry
I pity the foos who vote for Dole

I believe in Hayter

Hayter ain't a traitor, chewin lines like gator, he be playin whilst he's sayin "Richie, i'll see ya later", i-don't-need no hater to tell me who's greater, I be playing like a raider, and the last thing I need is a Snake imitator

That's how I feel, although Dole did a good job
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

BigSexy856
Member Avatar
As They Burn....Add More Gasoline. :)
Hayter was rumor to be working with Kojima on a new project a couple months back... and even Hayter confirmed as well... Im saying Hayter and he's going to change his voice up again for BB same as he did for Snake in MGS4 not the same voice but more a deeper older BB..

Reason why Hayter didn't voice BB in MGS4 was because they didn't wanted Snake and BB talk to eachother with the same voice in which that would confess the player a bit, unless you know who's who

NateDog
Member Avatar
Bang Bang
I'd have to say Hayter since the game doesn't seem to be that much later than the events of Peace Walker. Maybe if the game skips a number of years and advanced towards the end of Big Boss' life? Then Doyle might be OK but changing voice-actors in one game would be weird.
Posted Image
Gene

Agent

Cakes go hard. Jaffa cakes go hard. I go hard. Therefore jaffa cakes are cakes.
Are you a cake?

dosem
Jail Guard
No offence to OP but I don't think this is such "great" debate after all. :) Doyle did good job at the end of MGS4, that much we all agree with, but Daving Hayter has been consistently awesome in his roles as Solid Snake and Big Boss. Not only that, he made Snake sound different each time - because Snake really was a completely different character for all of those games with both his ups and downs.

Clearly, the man's got talent, he's (I assume) far more familiar with the lore at this point and thus I believe him to be superior choice for this role.

Thenakedsnake898
Member Avatar
Jail Guard
no It's david Hayter because if he said that he can't comment on it(from what he said on twitter) then that means he is the voice actor

chazo136
Member Avatar
Pokémon master

doesn't mean anything, just because he cannot comment on GZ doesn't mean he is Big Boss...it just means he cannot comment on the game.
Posted Image

Seagoat
Member Avatar
MVEMCJSUNPE

chazo136
Sep 2 2012, 05:25:09 PM
doesn't mean anything, just because he cannot comment on GZ doesn't mean he is Big Boss...it just means he cannot comment on the game.
The fact that he can't say anything about it tells us that he has something to do with it...
Posted Image
Posted Image
My definition of a planet, if one shall ask

Open for cohesion :3

chazo136
Member Avatar
Pokémon master

yeah he probably will...doesn't exactly mean who he will voice, he could voice an entirely different character since the snake voice isn't his natural voice, either way I prefer Hayter for a younger Big Boss but for advanced aged Big Boss I would prefer Doyle since he did fantastic
Posted Image

Roy
Member Avatar
I wont deny that I am a bad boy =)
Hayter, just 'cause I love the guy.
[rotate]Posted Image[rotate]Posted Image
#JoinDeadCell
Click the above image for the Dead Cell Recruitment Thread[rotate]Posted Image
#JoinDeadCell[rotate]

Thunderbolt
Member Avatar
落雷
The other guy, Richard Doyle, did way better in my opinion. I think there should be some way to transition from David to Richard through the story.
Posted Image

Sign My Petition for more Gray Fox and Solid Snake figures already, GEEZ!

vlad06
Member Avatar
Light Infantry
David Hayter obviously. The only time Doyle should be used is when Hayter is being used as Solid Snake and someone needs to to voice Big Boss (e.g. in MGS4 and a potential remake of MG1 & MG2) and both are going to have synchronous dialogue.
Edited by vlad06, Sep 2 2012, 08:30:47 PM.
Posted Image

chazo136
Member Avatar
Pokémon master

hope for a bit of MG1 and 2....though you probably only get to kill Big boss :/
Posted Image

blueblob
Member Avatar
Now free of artificial flavours

I think Hayter should do him for this game but after this it should be Doyle.
Posted Image
Jassassino

Blublobd yoyr ,he bst apart frk. Kiwv except feom maybe hebtu. ~ Dd.
Blaklight sig
I earned this shit

Solid Snake The Great
Member Avatar
Strike Back
I don't understand why people prefer Doyle over Hayter. Doyle had no longer than half an hour of speech as Big Boss. He didn't have the opportunity to show anywhere near the kind of range Hayter has as Solid Snake OR Big Boss. Doyle just had to sound a bit sad and speak the lines. Hayter's done it all, laughter, humour, sadness, anger etc. Hayter is the man for me.

Posted Image
Posted Image

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain · Next Topic »
Add Reply

User Color Code
Admin · Global Moderator · Forum Moderator · Member · Validating · Banned