Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Why join MGSF?
  • MGSF is officially the internet's largest MGS discussion board. So, you can enjoy your time with an active community of dedicated MGS fans.
  • Want more than just MGS talk? MGSF has a huge off-topic section for Opinions, Sport, Music, Movies, and other video games!
  • Organizations! Create your own or join an existing one. Organizations are sub-communities of the forum designed so you can gather with your closest friends on the board.
  • Blog! As a member, you have the ability to create your own blog on the forum for other users and/or guests to read.
  • Our forum also has an Arts sections for you to express your creative side, as well as a Digital Art forum in the computer corner.
  • We also have a Kojima Productions forum for members who wish to discuss KP-related issues outside of MGS.
Join our community today!

If you are already a member, please log in to your account to access all of your features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Official Final Fantasy Chat
Topic Started: Jan 15 2009, 10:59:12 PM (56,088 Views)
La Li Lu Le Lo
Member Avatar

And by that I mean a black man.

Kotaku: A scan from the latest issue of Japanese gaming and manga magazine V Jump reveals the first new playable black character to appear in Final Fantasy since FFVII, Sazh Kalzroy.

Sahz is an unusual design from FF artist Tetsuya Nomura, foregoing the normal pretty boy looks for a much more masculine looking black character, the first to appear as a playable character in the main series since Final Fantasy VII's Barret Wallace. According to the text, Sahz has a deep love for chocobos, likes the color green, and dual-wields pistols.

Hopefully Sahz won't end up being nearly the stereotype that Barret was, despite his 1970's throwback hairdo. As PSP Fanboy points out, that expression on his face certainly seems to point towards a guy who is a bit more lover and a bit less fighter. Check out the full scan below.

http://kotaku.com/5131154/new-final-fantasy-xiii-character-has-a-fabulous-afro

Heh, I can see it now

Snow Villers: Guys, we have to save the world.

Sahz: Ni**a you trippin!!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Roy
Member Avatar
I wont deny that I am a bad boy =)
http://mgsforums.com/topic/279326/26/#new
[rotate]Posted Image[rotate]Posted Image
#JoinDeadCell
Click the above image for the Dead Cell Recruitment Thread[rotate]Posted Image
#JoinDeadCell[rotate]

MalAlmighty
Member Avatar
>>New_Targeting_Param: >>>FUCK_YOU_userGroup
Way to be disrespectful and stereotype a race. Barret wasn't a stereotype, he was just loud and full of attitude. His personality would have worked on any character. Black, white, or polka dotted. (or did you not notice that him and Cid have pretty much the same personality?)

And like Roy pointed out, this way already talked about in the official RPG topic. Sorry.

but um.

Why is it so relevent to you that he's black? I mean, you wrote up a whole paragraph and a half on how he's black. Seriously?
Posted Image
Know what I hate? Peanutbutter. It sticks to your nipples

La Li Lu Le Lo
Member Avatar

stfu...you're making a big deal out of this. i was just playing around. i bet i know more black people than you and your family combined.

Infra
Member Avatar
Laughs the loudest.
La Li Lu Le Lo
Jan 16 2009, 02:48:31 AM
stfu...you're making a big deal out of this. i was just playing around.
This entire reply of yours was completely uncalled for and handled in the most immature way possible.

You claim for this to be a joke, yet how would it look if people actually laughed at this? Honestly.. I already find it ridiculous that this was actually made into a news article.

In regards to what I bolded out; You say Mal is making a big deal out of this, yet I can't help but notice your sheer hypocrisy in this matter. You are also making a big deal out of this.

La Li Lu Le Lo

i bet i know more black people than you and your family combined.

Seriously? How childish.

Edited by Infra, Jan 16 2009, 07:00:13 AM.

Digitaldude
Member Avatar
T L O U
I just find it quite sad how its big news, i mean so a black guy with an afro is in F13. Racist much?

BTW my post was not aimed at the thread creator.
Posted Image

Tamashi_7
Member Avatar
Ordo Ab Chao
Guys... come on, lay off a bit, eh?

MalAlmighty

Barret wasn't a stereotype, he was just loud and full of attitude.
I dunno, dude; he seemed quite the stereotype to me. And really, he wouldn't be the first I've seen in Japanese products... not by a long shot.

MalAlmighty

(or did you not notice that him and Cid have pretty much the same personality?)
Heh... Cid, to me, always seemed more red neck (yet another stereotype?).

MalAlmighty

Why is it so relevent to you that he's black? I mean, you wrote up a whole paragraph and a half on how he's black. Seriously?
He quoted that from the article, actually.

In any case, it's relevant because it's rare that Final Fantasy acknowledges black people in the games. Hell, it was just the other day that I was playing Final Fantasy X and thought to myself, "Why are there no black people around here? ...WHY IS THIS ALWAYS THE CASE WITH JAPANESE SHIT?!" It's not racist to point out that a game seldom incorporates black characters... and not just in terms of this, but just about anything Japanese they hardly use black characters, and when they do, it's usually some stereotype.

Also, it's likely that his joke was a mere pun on the above facts, since he himself went to the trouble of quoting how it would be negative to stereotype the character like Barret.
Edited by Tamashi_7, Jan 16 2009, 02:53:56 PM.

MalAlmighty
Member Avatar
>>New_Targeting_Param: >>>FUCK_YOU_userGroup
Since he quoted it all from the article, I redirect what I said to Kotaku.

Seriously, they could have talked about so many things. Like maybe the gameplay screenshots in the scan that he was shown playing in, or about what the scan actually said, or about his silly little mini-chocobo. But no, it's "ZOMG HE'S BLACK GUYS."

But really...

Quote:

i bet i know more black people than you and your family combined.

I haven't heard anything like that since at least middle school.
Edited by MalAlmighty, Jan 16 2009, 02:38:51 PM.
Posted Image
Know what I hate? Peanutbutter. It sticks to your nipples

Shyne
Member Avatar
10 Year Vet
While it may be noteworthy that including this new character there have been only 2 black characters in the Final Fantasy series, I don't think it needs a news article. I myself liked Barrett in VII, even though what they did to him in Advent Children is unspeakable. Personally, this new guy reminds me of Drebin put into an FF outfit.

:gary:
Posted Image
Posted Image

Infra
Member Avatar
Laughs the loudest.
Looks like I should read some of the article before replying. For that, I apologize. I still think it's completely ridiculous to make this a news article solely because he's black.

Comatoes
Member Avatar
Member Avatar
This guy looks to be anything but stereotypical... except for the afro but that stereotype died out in the 70's.

I mean, he likes mini things and cries... that is anything but stereotypical for a black person.
Posted Image
My Web Log | Join Dead Cell | Organization Rules | MGSF Rules

Roy
Member Avatar
I wont deny that I am a bad boy =)
MalAlmighty

(or did you not notice that him and Cid have pretty much the same personality?)

Tam

Heh... Cid, to me, always seemed more red neck (yet another stereotype?).

lolwut?

Cid was all but given the title of Mayor of Rocket Town and was the Captain of a rocket and a whole group of engineers. He swore a lot in criticisms of others but was generally laid back and didn't really give a toss about nothing (except going into space). Barret had temper problems but ultimately cared a lot about a lot of things (the planet, marlene and so on) and was far more commanding that Cid was. I don't really want to take it further, this isn't the place.

Tam

In any case, it's relevant because it's rare that Final Fantasy acknowledges black people in the games. Hell, it was just the other day that I was playing Final Fantasy X and thought to myself, "Why are there no black people around here? ...WHY IS THIS ALWAYS THE CASE WITH JAPANESE SHIT?!" It's not racist to point out that a game seldom incorporates black characters... and not just in terms of this, but just about anything Japanese they hardly use black characters, and when they do, it's usually some stereotype.

Yup, replace 'Final Fantasy' with 'Japanese games' and I totally agree. I don't know the reason, perhaps there aren't many black people living in Japan compared with Western countries, I don't know.
[rotate]Posted Image[rotate]Posted Image
#JoinDeadCell
Click the above image for the Dead Cell Recruitment Thread[rotate]Posted Image
#JoinDeadCell[rotate]

SolidSnake2012
Member Avatar
The Boss to Surpass Big Boss
He's trying to say, there hasn't been (to my knowledge) any black people in any of the previous Final Fantasy games. That to some people is a surprise.
Posted Image

Tamashi_7
Member Avatar
Ordo Ab Chao
No. The article clearly stated Final Fantasy VII's Barret Wallace.

SolidSnake2012
Member Avatar
The Boss to Surpass Big Boss
Oh, my bad, didn't see that. (I don't know why...)

Yeah, well then I agree, this topic doesn't really have a meaning. Could've said, "New FF13 Character Revealed!" or something due to that effect. This topic just started a whole argument on racism for no reason.
Posted Image

Tamashi_7
Member Avatar
Ordo Ab Chao
One brother is enough to say the topic isn't warranted?

Hellz no!

sadistic_greyfox
Member Avatar
Midnight Leader

LMAO, wow he looks just like my good friend, hell my friend even sported an afro that looked similar to that back in High school. Well atleast now in Final Fantasy there's a playable male character that actually loooks Manly as opposed to all the feminine looking ones.
Posted Image
Missing you more with each day, Joe (OS.)

Spoiler: click to toggle

Tamashi_7
Member Avatar
Ordo Ab Chao
Screw that!

Gimme more feminine guys! :wub:

In all seriousness, he looks to be a pretty cool character, and not just another stereotype for reasons 'Toes stated. :)

sadistic_greyfox
Member Avatar
Midnight Leader

Don't worry tam I'm sure beside him the rest of the cast will be the most feminine dudes ever, they have to make up for lost space with this manly looking one I mean.

I really want to like this character as he looks incredibly smooth and cool, hopefully he has a pretty good story or motive for helping in XIII and not just lame reason to follow around (like God Damn Vaan)
Posted Image
Missing you more with each day, Joe (OS.)

Spoiler: click to toggle

Tamashi_7
Member Avatar
Ordo Ab Chao
Vaan was nice eye-candy, despite his sheer lack of bloody story! (I only played the first half, though)

I want cute guys and strong, emotional stories — like Cloud, Tidus and whoever else. :wub:

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Gaming Chat · Next Topic »
Add Reply

User Color Code
Admin Global Moderator Forum Moderator Member Validating Banned