Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Why join MGSF?
  • MGSF is officially the internet's largest MGS discussion board. So, you can enjoy your time with an active community of dedicated MGS fans.
  • Want more than just MGS talk? MGSF has a huge off-topic section for Opinions, Sport, Music, Movies, and other video games!
  • Organizations! Create your own or join an existing one. Organizations are sub-communities of the forum designed so you can gather with your closest friends on the board.
  • Blog! As a member, you have the ability to create your own blog on the forum for other users and/or guests to read.
  • Our forum also has an Arts sections for you to express your creative side, as well as a Digital Art forum in the computer corner.
  • We also have a Kojima Productions forum for members who wish to discuss KP-related issues outside of MGS.
Join our community today!

If you are already a member, please log in to your account to access all of your features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Did you like PO? (Story not gameplay); plot discussion not a canon argument
Topic Started: Aug 10 2015, 06:55:41 PM (4,769 Views)
sean9014
Member Avatar
Keep friends, those you love, close to you...
So as stated in an earlier post. I didnt play PO but decided to watch all cutscenes to catch up what I missed as I never owned a PSP. Overall, I really quite liked it. I felt it answered a few questions and although at first I found the story a little bit too been here almost exactly before (snake sent in, played like a pawn whole way, save the world from the bad guy.) I think thats part of the point. History repeats itself and humans make the same mistakes. And whilst a lot of it feels more of same they add just enough spice. At first I thought outer haven was a pisstake almost duplicate like they coukdnt be arsed to make a new story. then I realised heros become what they oppose sometimes. We know boss will basically be in genes place one day, then it became more than a deja vu to me. It fleshed out and overall I feel big boss is more human than solid snake. I liked zero and ocelot building in the background trying to start the patriots. Did you enjoy it?
Edited by sean9014, Aug 10 2015, 06:59:33 PM.
Posted Image

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

That_mAntis
Member Avatar
Light Infantry
PO has very good story in my option, its sad that Kojima tries ignore it as much then possible. I hope that there could be even one reference to events of PO in Phantom pain.
'You try to kill a man, then call him "monster"?

sean9014
Member Avatar
It seems strange to me, maybe he has ideas that clash. I enjoyed it all but found the volgin intention to be the only bit I didnt see fitting and also null confused me because for sone reason I assumed when solid snake fought him later he was basically human. I noticed in pw it references it, in a way that also seems like a dig. Where it says 'finally we can leave that crap in san hieromo behind' maybe I read into it a bit much but feels like kojima saying this is the real snake eater sequel! I love both and as with most the games, wether kojima or not, all have been retconned gradually. wether any of the timeline is canon right now is debatable til tpp ends I guess :) the way the saga has circled is amazing (not played rising btw)
Posted Image

A Worthless Piece of Shit
Member Avatar
Flying Spaghetti Monster

For a PSP game, it had a great story.
Is Hideo Kojima of gay descent?
Posted Image
Max Payne's Ramblings

gpack418
Member Avatar
Motherbase Postal Service
I did the same as you did, watched the "movie" but all in all I thought it was a good story. Nothing like TPP will be but I think it was an interesting title, especially for being a PSP game.
Posted Image
Spoiler: click to toggle

Infiltrator
Member Avatar

I saw the story on youtube as well. I thought it was pretty decent.
Posted Image

Mr. Gibbs

I hope we all die.
Max Payne

You stop right fucking there and apologies Infiltrator . CIA is many things; a has been meme master, a baneposter who ran it to the ground so bad to where it stopped being funny, a complete and utter podcast tsundere but I will NOT allow you to call him a shitty Gary Stu who killed a 7 part book series. That's just mean and unfair.

Sorry if I sound angry but this was too much, even with the strike in mind.

Novitch
Member Avatar
Knight
Its decent and very similar to Shadow Moses when you think about it

The Dark Shape
Member Avatar
Light Infantry
It gets off to a slow start but it has some nice character moments. My biggest issue is that it commits my number one prequel grievance -- taking a character's arc and essentially giving it to someone else.

It's a tricky balance. The Boss inspiring Big Boss and setting him on the path to end up at Outer Heaven doesn't bother me, but Big Boss stealing the idea of Outer Heaven wholesale from Gene does.

That_mAntis
Member Avatar
Light Infantry
The Dark Shape
Aug 14 2015, 12:06:09 AM
It gets off to a slow start but it has some nice character moments. My biggest issue is that it commits my number one prequel grievance -- taking a character's arc and essentially giving it to someone else.

It's a tricky balance. The Boss inspiring Big Boss and setting him on the path to end up at Outer Heaven doesn't bother me, but Big Boss stealing the idea of Outer Heaven wholesale from Gene does.
BB didnt steal the idea from Gene.. he was simply just inspired by Gene to create his own army..

and Gene`s funds gived BB change to do it

Infiltrator
Member Avatar

I gotta say though Gene was a pretty good villain.
Posted Image

Mr. Gibbs

I hope we all die.
Max Payne

You stop right fucking there and apologies Infiltrator . CIA is many things; a has been meme master, a baneposter who ran it to the ground so bad to where it stopped being funny, a complete and utter podcast tsundere but I will NOT allow you to call him a shitty Gary Stu who killed a 7 part book series. That's just mean and unfair.

Sorry if I sound angry but this was too much, even with the strike in mind.

That_mAntis
Member Avatar
Light Infantry
Infiltrator
Aug 14 2015, 08:03:17 AM
I gotta say though Gene was a pretty good villain.
pretty much best villain of Big Boss Saga

Volgin was pretty much like : "buahahaaa i m evil" villain

dunno about skullface yet, he seems kinda cool but Gene will always be best of bb saga

The Dark Shape
Member Avatar
Light Infantry
That_mAntis
Aug 14 2015, 06:53:38 AM
The Dark Shape
Aug 14 2015, 12:06:09 AM

BB didnt steal the idea from Gene.. he was simply just inspired by Gene to create his own army..

and Gene`s funds gived BB change to do it
Gene has the exact same idea. Outer Heaven is no longer Big Boss' concept; it's Gene's, which Big Boss simply brings to fruition.

ballisticola
Member Avatar
Still we carry you.

No, Gene was an oppressive leader, who used his men and didn't give a shit about them. What Big Boss does gives soldiers a place outside of Gene's heaven.
Metal Gear Solid V: Lord of the Parasites - a study of MGSV
Mission 46: The Painful Truth
The Science of Metal Gear: Who is the dominant Snake?

Novitch
Member Avatar
Knight
Gene inspired Big Boss, but its not big deal if Big Boss stole his idea anyways tbh

Liquid Suneku
Member Avatar
Les Deplorables
I hate this trend of stealing ideas, I didn't like the story at all
Even in a galaxy far far away those evil white supremacists can't give minorities a break.
Posted Image

sean9014
Member Avatar
It grew on me. I thought it was a cheap rip off of outer heaven then I realised big boss opposes what gene is doing but will eventually become him. I know we can differentiate between how boss and gene treat their troops now but by end of tpp boss will be gene and what he once thought was madness. I dont think big boss steals his idea, hes just introduced to another ideology and all of the ideologies his idols and enemies try to justify to him, play an important part of his character development. Gene was a badass. Snake didnt straight go what a great idea im gonna steal all your shit and plans. He was given funds by Gene, very important. But Genes ideologies wont effect snake much til later and are important as what the boss etc tell him.
Edited by sean9014, Aug 15 2015, 07:28:21 PM.
Posted Image

Hype_dragon1994
Member Avatar
420 PRAISE IT NOOB!!
I actually loved PO both story and gameplay I thought the story was a great filler between MGS3 and peace walker I know everyone hates it because of the repetative gameplay but really I thought the story was a really good story and like Sean said before me it's funny how the thing that snake is trying to stop is the same thing / person he will become
Posted Image

ZeroMaverick
Light Infantry
I feel like this is definitely the most underrated story in the "Metal Gear Saga." I like it more than Peace Walker to be honest.

CIA
Member Avatar

It's been a while, but I had no complaints for the story. I thought Gray Fox being introduced as a wimpy albino anime stereotype was kinda dumb. Like Darth Vader, I liked him more when he was black.

#teamGregEagles
Edited by CIA, Nov 15 2015, 07:20:17 PM.
Posted Image
Departed: I hate MGS 1 because I'm old.
Forum Bling

The Departed
Member Avatar
Your friendly neighborhood truck

^that last part was perfect and just about sums up why null was lame. that said...

rob paulsen from tts>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>peter stillman / darpa chief / jax from mortal kombat x

has tag shots fire

as for the topic, ready for a curveball? in my god honest onion, mpo tells a better story than any mgs game to date. it's intricate yet straight forward. the cast is small, but; bar null, every character is unique, and their interactions with snake are genuinely compelling, as are snake's actual interactions with them, for once. that's one thing i actually never realized until old yeller showed me in his wip review. the actual meaningful dialogue exchanges between mgs protagonists and villains is really sparse. one or two lines that have substance, followed by parrot lines, grunts, and redundant observations. such is not the case with snake's interactions with the mpo villains.

hell, even that shit-ass null had genuine interactions with snake that had substance to them. sure, it reeked of anime teen angst and null's voice actor is one of the worst to be introduced in the mgs-verse, but the written dialogue itself doesn't suck at all...well, for the most part.

hearing null say "you help me fill the void inside" filled me with a special kind of rage...
Edited by The Departed, Nov 20 2015, 04:49:56 AM.
Posted Image
Dirty Duck

Duck as sake no bidibgeybfbfhailhydradrinkn:(

awards and such

r.i.p. to the coolest dude we'll ever know :gary:

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
Learn More · Sign-up Now
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops · Next Topic »
Add Reply

User Color Code
Admin Global Moderator Forum Moderator Member Validating Banned