Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Why join MGSF?
  • MGSF is officially the internet's largest MGS discussion board. So, you can enjoy your time with an active community of dedicated MGS fans.
  • Want more than just MGS talk? MGSF has a huge off-topic section for Opinions, Sport, Music, Movies, and other video games!
  • Organizations! Create your own or join an existing one. Organizations are sub-communities of the forum designed so you can gather with your closest friends on the board.
  • Blog! As a member, you have the ability to create your own blog on the forum for other users and/or guests to read.
  • Our forum also has an Arts sections for you to express your creative side, as well as a Digital Art forum in the computer corner.
  • We also have a Kojima Productions forum for members who wish to discuss KP-related issues outside of MGS.
Join our community today!

If you are already a member, please log in to your account to access all of your features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Why MGS3 was so bloody good
Topic Started: Sep 13 2015, 10:09:34 AM (2,979 Views)
kevviewevvie13
Member Avatar

When I first joined this forum, I had an idea of the first topic that I wanted to talk about, and that was MGS3. Arguably Hideo's greatest MGS of all time, this game has stuck in the minds of fans for years. But why was it so good you may ask? Well, let me answer.

Firstly, let me start with the theme song, this gave the game a real James Bond feel and me being a 007 fan, this really got me into it from the get-go.

Secondly, this is the beginning of the legend himself, Big Boss. This guy is a badass, enough said.

Thirdly, the location, this game was the first time that Hideo went to a jungle location, and it worked really well. This made being stealthy even more challenging as not only did you have guards who could spot you a mile away, you didn't have a lot of cover other then the tall grass lying around the place.

Fourthly, this was the first time that the Stamina bar played an important role, now you had to find things to eat and drink to keep your stamina bar topped up to avoid bad things happening to you.

Lastly, the characters, every single one of them is rememberable and a lot of them become an icon of later MGS games eg. Revolver Ocelot. From EVA, to Volgan, all of them were epic characters with their own stories that made you want to play on to find out more about them.

Do you agree with me? What's your favourite metal gear game? Leave them in the comments below!
Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

kim kim
Snake! Snake! SNAAAAAAKE!

I can agree with some of the things you mentioned. And speaking of being spotted, Ground Zeroes is worse since you can't choose a dificulty easier then normal. But I do like the gameplay of mgs3. It felt like something diferent the first time I played it.
Edited by kim kim, Sep 13 2015, 10:48:18 AM.
Posted Image

kevviewevvie13
Member Avatar

Ground Zeroes AI was crazy, but it's nothing compared to TPP.

Seriously, the AI in that game is insane. Definitely gives a serious challenge when trying to be stealthy.
Posted Image

Ef9 o shea
Member Avatar
Hadoken

Nicely said kev and I agree with you on a lot of it
Posted Image

A Worthless Piece of Shit
Member Avatar
Flying Spaghetti Monster

MGS3 is probably the best game in the series.
Almost got ruined by most of the triple agents shit.
I liked the idea of Ocelot being a cocky inexperience major under the care of Volgin for all of his life. It's so genuine and is great characterization for what the character will eventually become in his later years. Almost got ruined by the idea that he was in fact a triple agent for the CIA and KGB shit.
Is Hideo Kojima of gay descent?
Posted Image
Max Payne's Ramblings

kevviewevvie13
Member Avatar

I think that more added to the story if you ask me.
Posted Image

A Worthless Piece of Shit
Member Avatar
Flying Spaghetti Monster

nah over complicates and confuses players
Is Hideo Kojima of gay descent?
Posted Image
Max Payne's Ramblings

redfox45
Member Avatar
Basically
I used to wonder the same thing myself. I knew I loved it to death but I couldn't really explain why but a big part of it for me was definitely the retro 60's Bond-esqe soundtrack.

Superbunnyhop's critical closeup video really opened my eyes to ALL the reasons though.
Hate to namedrop but if there's a place and a time it's here and now.
And this is the way the saga ends, not with a bang...but a whimper

Jassassino
Member Avatar
Avocados at law.

MGS3 would've been my favourite if it was the quality of the latter half the entire way through. The first half had a jungle which I thought to be pretty bland and repetitive, and was only interesting once there were boss fights, and over-the-top male-gaze and Bond-esque shots and inputs really broke some of the immersion too.

Gameplay was fantastic though, the camo system was great.
Posted Image
The man without fear...
Rest in Peace, OS.

Welcome to the Gallery
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Dīpusurōto

People love MGS3 so much because :

1) It's the beginning. You don't need much knowledge on what happened prior to that. Sure having knowledge of MG1,MG2,MGS1,MGS2 paints a bigger picture, but MGS3 is great even without knowing anything at all.

2) The Cobra Unit is amazing. Many great and memorable Boss-Fights in MGS3.

3) The ending has a rather simple twist instead of going full-confuse mode.

4) It is the "easiest" to understand by far. It all seems to make sense. Especially those who disliked MGS2 do love MGS3 for its simplicity.

5) The Boss. Everyone loves The Boss.

6) You get tricked by a beautiful blond woman. Men can or wish to relate to that.

The biggest reason is that it is all very reasonable and understandable. Not confusing. Especially western people can relate much more to MGS3, because of James Bond movies etc.

Ishmael Snake
Member Avatar
call me Ishmael Snake

The Snake radio team was pretty interesting i love to listening to Sigint explanations of all Snake's weapons he was such a nice character. :cool:
Good luck kiefersnake ! "Vic" Boss
Posted Image

Hype_dragon1994
Member Avatar
420 PRAISE IT NOOB!!
Mgs3 is life... Mgs3 is bae... Serious though that game was so so so amazing from the detail to the story everything about this game is perfection couldn't find a fault with this game if i tried
Posted Image

Infiltrator
Member Avatar

I liked the addition of a suppressor for your tranq gun. Taught you to use it sparingly.
Posted Image

Mr. Gibbs

I hope we all die.
Max Payne

You stop right fucking there and apologies Infiltrator . CIA is many things; a has been meme master, a baneposter who ran it to the ground so bad to where it stopped being funny, a complete and utter podcast tsundere but I will NOT allow you to call him a shitty Gary Stu who killed a 7 part book series. That's just mean and unfair.

Sorry if I sound angry but this was too much, even with the strike in mind.

SwimmingBird
Member Avatar
Light Infantry
I finished 5 and Snake Eater is still my favorite

liquidussnakenanos
Light Infantry
The sheer quality and direction of the cutscenes are some of the best ever. The Halo Jump and chase scene are mind-blowing from the music, the editing, and the way the camera is placed.

The game had the most enjoyable support team and the comedic aspect was off the chart. I think they did really say more than enough things that are actually interesting that did not make them one dimensional (Sigint wishing the world to be one with the digital era with Zero being fit to lead that change for not giving a crap about his color) and warrant them for being the patriots.

SniperQuiet
Member Avatar
Light Infantry
liquidussnakenanos
Oct 6 2015, 01:59:56 PM
The sheer quality and direction of the cutscenes are some of the best ever. The Halo Jump and chase scene are mind-blowing from the music, the editing, and the way the camera is placed.

The game had the most enjoyable support team and the comedic aspect was off the chart. I think they did really say more than enough things that are actually interesting that did not make them one dimensional (Sigint wishing the world to be one with the digital era with Zero being fit to lead that change for not giving a crap about his color) and warrant them for being the patriots.
Oh God, the "World's first HALO jump". That scene is just sheer brilliance. And plus the fact that you fail at first and have to come back in again through other means (the rocket pod thing). No other MGS game has that "try again" aspect to its story, so it really breaks the mold too.

The support team was so good, as well. I loved Paramedic, and all her information on films of the time. It really added depth to the game, and really felt like it was in the '60s, moreso than V feels like it's in the 80s. The soundtrack, the characters (Paramedic's haircut), all the mentions of films from the time, the '60's style remix of the MGS theme, the James Bond feel, even EVA's motorbike. The whole game just oozes this sort of '60's essence.

StaySyk
Member Avatar

This game really surprised me because its just so damn good. Character intros/developement and boss fights are 10/10.
Posted Image
Mah Twitch
Smells Like Zorro
Dec 30 2015, 04:25:14 PM
If I had ten daughters, I'd let StaySyk date all of them.

SniperQuiet
Member Avatar
Light Infantry
StaySyk
Oct 7 2015, 05:17:49 PM
This game really surprised me because its just so damn good. Character intros/developement and boss fights are 10/10.
One of my only faults with this game is that there's little to no back story on the Cobras, with the exception of The Fury, who gets minimal coverage through his monologue before you fight him, and The Sorrow and The Boss, since they're pretty much central to the plot anyway.

The Pain, The End, and The Fear don't get any backstory whatsoever, which is a shame, because The Fear always fascinated me.

Lianco
Member Avatar
Light Infantry
Funny, when I first joined here the first thing I posted was the exact opposite of this, while I agree with what you said about the characters and partly everything else, I just find the whole thing really underwhelming.

You have the heady thrills of MGS2 a rather complex, thought provoking, impressive and ahead-of-its-time game; then you have a rather simplistic, unchallenging, cheesy Bond story,(hell, and I'm a huge Bond fan as well) to say I felt like a fish out of water is in understatement. It just seemed so far removed from the other games in the series that I really didn't know how to feel. I really disliked my slog through this game, not to menu the bad menu interface.

I still think, to this day, that most of the reason why casual fans think 3 is the best is because it came after 2 and that the main character was more familiar, that's it. Hell, some people have actually told me that when I asked. Of course, none of them have been here because all of us here have more of an understanding of this series as a whole and I don't mean to personally attack anyone, just to say that.

Not to mention, that besides having lack of backstory, the bosses were just annoying.
Posted Image Posted Image

Tricerius
Member Avatar

MGS3 bosses were fun for the most part.

Difficult (as for End and Fury) but fun.
Posted Image
Zero people prosper, yet the nation dies out
The ignorants dance in their own world
Governance and rule to them are only dreams
Rise and Fall politics; merely a game of Go

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater · Next Topic »
Add Reply

User Color Code
Admin Global Moderator Forum Moderator Member Validating Banned