Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Why join MGSF?
  • MGSF is officially the internet's largest MGS discussion board. So, you can enjoy your time with an active community of dedicated MGS fans.
  • Want more than just MGS talk? MGSF has a huge off-topic section for Opinions, Sport, Music, Movies, and other video games!
  • Organizations! Create your own or join an existing one. Organizations are sub-communities of the forum designed so you can gather with your closest friends on the board.
  • Blog! As a member, you have the ability to create your own blog on the forum for other users and/or guests to read.
  • Our forum also has an Arts sections for you to express your creative side, as well as a Digital Art forum in the computer corner.
  • We also have a Kojima Productions forum for members who wish to discuss KP-related issues outside of MGS.
Join our community today!

If you are already a member, please log in to your account to access all of your features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Running.
Topic Started: Mar 28 2016, 12:12:35 PM (983 Views)
Pricey
Member Avatar
Part Time Big Boss

Any other runners here?

I've been doing it for a few years now but have done it more seriously for the last couple of months since joining a local running club.

On Saturday I ran my first half marathon of the year and managed to shave 11 minutes off my previous time for the same course. Happy with that. I have another two lined up this year with some smaller races in between.

Now I know I can do it, I really enjoy it. It's a great feeling being able to just go out and run for miles. I'm still way off a full marathon though, but who knows.

If anyone uses MapMyRun, let me know.

Join Us!

Posted Image @MGSForums

Posted Image MGSForums

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

jc55
Member Avatar
Covert Taskforce Member
Yeah, there's definitely something addictive about running once you get past the searing pain. What was your time in the end if you don't mind me asking?

For anyone who is either interested in running (or just wishes that runs were a bit more interesting), I really recommend a great little app called Zombies, Run!. It's a free GPS based running app integrated with zombie post-apocalyptia storyline. There are three different levels of ability and the basic structure is a basic pace riddled with short bursts to escape the zombies! It's a real good laugh actually, you pick up items along the way and it just adds an extra dimension to a run instead of the same old music playlists which do get annoying after a while.
2007 - 2015

The Black man is God

Pricey
Member Avatar
Part Time Big Boss

In the end it was 2:17:14. Still training for sub 2 hours. For this one I was out training for nearly 5 weeks with a foot then knee injury. Nightmare.

Join Us!

Posted Image @MGSForums

Posted Image MGSForums

jc55
Member Avatar
Covert Taskforce Member
Aye not bad at all, that. I find the hardest thing with most fitness phases is getting started. Once you've broken yourself in, really is best to stick with it imo.

I've run a half marathon once and I feel that anything under 2:30 is respectable. I've done a couple of track sessions too which is pretty good if you're time conscious but from my experience there's no effective way of replicating road running.
2007 - 2015

The Black man is God

Tom Cruise
Member Avatar
Ultimate
i put the treadmill incline at 11 and sometimes i walk up to 4 does that count
DEAD CELL 4 LIFE 4 EVER
R.I.P. GARY

Posted Image

Smoggy
Member Avatar
One of a Kind
I'm not a half marathon runner or cut out for road running but have completed a few obstacle course races. My last one was the 12km Ram Run. Training for it was dogged by shin splints, injuries and lack of patience. I use map my run but doesn't really have an option for hunrdling 4 foot walls so it's mainly just to log distance travelled.
Posted Image
The Barking Dog Doesn't Bite

MachineGryphon
Member Avatar

Went for my first run in about 8 years on the weekend, running in shoes too big for me and having to stop after about 2 minutes at best, whereupon I felt like someone had taken a sledgehammer to my chest and throat. I could only run a mile or so back in the day, but this was something of a sobering experience on how truly unfit I have become. It's taken my legs a couple of days to recover from it, but I received the pair of running shoes I ordered today (in the correct size), and I'm looking at giving the same route another shot tomorrow, with my aim to put a little more distance on it before I have to rest again. Going to be a long road back I think.

kim kim
Snake! Snake! SNAAAAAAKE!

I like going for runs every now and then. Helps me keep my weight down and my mind focused on something else when I'm stressed. I remember planning out a cardio workout for myself just to lose weight.
Posted Image

A Big Crocodile
Member Avatar
Filthy casuals

MachineGryphon
Mar 30 2016, 01:13:55 AM
Went for my first run in about 8 years on the weekend, running in shoes too big for me and having to stop after about 2 minutes at best, whereupon I felt like someone had taken a sledgehammer to my chest and throat. I could only run a mile or so back in the day, but this was something of a sobering experience on how truly unfit I have become. It's taken my legs a couple of days to recover from it, but I received the pair of running shoes I ordered today (in the correct size), and I'm looking at giving the same route another shot tomorrow, with my aim to put a little more distance on it before I have to rest again. Going to be a long road back I think.
I had the same thing. Start2Run programs work miracles.
[rotate]Posted Image[rotate]Posted Image[rotate]Posted Image[rotate]Posted Image[rotate]
A Big Bad Croc's Big Bad Bragging Blog || My Soundcloud || My Mixcloud

Forever a boss

Pricey
Member Avatar
Part Time Big Boss

Yeah, Couch2(to)5k is good too.

I'll be heading out tonight as I haven't been since the half. Probably a 10k.

Join Us!

Posted Image @MGSForums

Posted Image MGSForums

Ranch DuBois Est. 2014
Member Avatar

Pricey do you find you run faster because you're the man with the gun?
Posted Image

Rest In Peace, Joe.

Pricey
Member Avatar
Part Time Big Boss

Usually, yeah.

Join Us!

Posted Image @MGSForums

Posted Image MGSForums

Alicia
Member Avatar
VERIFIED GIRL!
I've never been a good runner. I have asthma. But since August 3rd, 2015, I've been working out regularly. I do sprints of whatever I could comfortably do (I have asthma and no access to an inhaler xD).
I'm doing so much better. I can set my treadmill up to a pace of 7, sometimes 8, for a good solid minute. Now generally I start jogging at a pace of 6.3 for a good five minutes. My goal is to get comfortable jogging 10 minutes at a pace of 5.1 for 15 minutes.

The only reason I haven't given up is because I had a friend say that it took her A LONG TIME to get to what she does, which is a good half hour, just jogging... I wanna say her pacing was like a 5.6. That'd be a dream for me. ^^

Unfortunately, I don't perform any better because I struggle with nutrition... ):
Official Diamond Dog Sig!
Posted ImageCourtesy of diamondsnobs!! ^
Classic Pinkie Pie!

CIA
Member Avatar

Give that treadmill hell.
Posted Image
Departed: I hate MGS 1 because I'm old.
Forum Bling

MelissaSanders
Jail Guard
I started running to lose my body fat. I think any exercise is good exercise, but when it comes to losing weight, it is hard to beat running. Running is one of the most efficient ways to burn calories. You can read more benefits of running to lose weight over the web.

Webbie
Member Avatar
THUG ROSE!
MelissaSanders
Sep 27 2017, 08:03:07 AM
I started running to lose my body fat. I think any exercise is good exercise, but when it comes to losing weight, it is hard to beat running. Running is one of the most efficient ways to burn calories. You can read more benefits of running to lose weight over the web.

Now that is one elaborate bot right there.
Posted Image

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Health/Fitness · Next Topic »
Add Reply

User Color Code
Admin Global Moderator Forum Moderator Member Validating Banned