Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Why join MGSF?
  • MGSF is officially the internet's largest MGS discussion board. So, you can enjoy your time with an active community of dedicated MGS fans.
  • Want more than just MGS talk? MGSF has a huge off-topic section for Opinions, Sport, Music, Movies, and other video games!
  • Organizations! Create your own or join an existing one. Organizations are sub-communities of the forum designed so you can gather with your closest friends on the board.
  • Blog! As a member, you have the ability to create your own blog on the forum for other users and/or guests to read.
  • Our forum also has an Arts sections for you to express your creative side, as well as a Digital Art forum in the computer corner.
  • We also have a Kojima Productions forum for members who wish to discuss KP-related issues outside of MGS.
Join our community today!

If you are already a member, please log in to your account to access all of your features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Kojima on breast size in DS and how he'll justify it; "HER SKIN NEEDS TO BREATHE GUYS!"
Topic Started: Jan 26 2017, 09:07:16 PM (3,963 Views)
NateDog
Member Avatar
We have arrived.
http://www.vg247.com/2017/01/26/kojima-will-take-a-different-approach-to-overly-sexualised-characters/
Quote:

In an interview with BBC Radio 1 Newsbeat, Hideo Kojima defended the way female characters have been represented in his games, particularly when it comes to over sexualisation of certain women.

That said, the legendary designer noted that he’s going to “have a different approach for the next game.”

“What I really want to avoid is, like you see in some games, characters with big breasts with no back story,” said Kojima. “If I make characters that at first glance might look like this then they’ll have a deep background story to give a specific reason why.”

Kojima is presumably referring to Quiet, a major character in the recent Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain. Quiet was heavily criticised prior to the game’s launch for her choice of clothes, but the designer insisted that it’ll be explained in the game.
Watch this space.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

SniperQuiet
Member Avatar
Light Infantry
NateDog
Jan 26 2017, 09:07:16 PM
http://www.vg247.com/2017/01/26/kojima-will-take-a-different-approach-to-overly-sexualised-characters/
Quote:

In an interview with BBC Radio 1 Newsbeat, Hideo Kojima defended the way female characters have been represented in his games, particularly when it comes to over sexualisation of certain women.

That said, the legendary designer noted that he’s going to “have a different approach for the next game.”

“What I really want to avoid is, like you see in some games, characters with big breasts with no back story,” said Kojima. “If I make characters that at first glance might look like this then they’ll have a deep background story to give a specific reason why.”

Kojima is presumably referring to Quiet, a major character in the recent Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain. Quiet was heavily criticised prior to the game’s launch for her choice of clothes, but the designer insisted that it’ll be explained in the game.
Yeah, just like how he'd make us regret our words and deeds when we found out about Quiet's back story.

I'm not buying it.

Suede
Member Avatar
Lady of Dragonstone

Just admit you're a perv, Kojima and you like tits and ass in your games.
Posted ImageRest in peace, Joe.
Awards

The Departed
Member Avatar
Your friendly neighborhood truck

You guys just don't understand. She breathes specifically through her nipples. Kojima's hands are tied!
Posted Image
Dirty Duck

Duck as sake no bidibgeybfbfhailhydradrinkn:(

awards and such

r.i.p. to the coolest dude we'll ever know :gary:

Cleme201101
Member Avatar

That's a good thing. Those who read the topic ''Is MGS over-sexualized'' know how much that annoyed me. His game is going to be much less cringe-worthy that way.
Long live Metal Gear and its community!
Posted Image

Awesome drawing by Foxhound Arts

MGSF Award 2016 ''Best Newcomer''

Infiltrator
Member Avatar

With Kojima though, it's big boobs first, then come up with a back story to justify the big boobs.

"Well you see, she spilled some chemicals on her boobs while working in a lab, and they mutated. Now every time she looks at her boobs, she's reminded of the terrible accident. It's tragic don't you see? Are you ashamed of your words and deeds yet?"
Edited by Infiltrator, Jan 27 2017, 01:59:33 AM.
Posted Image

Mr. Gibbs

I hope we all die.
Max Payne

You stop right fucking there and apologies Infiltrator . CIA is many things; a has been meme master, a baneposter who ran it to the ground so bad to where it stopped being funny, a complete and utter podcast tsundere but I will NOT allow you to call him a shitty Gary Stu who killed a 7 part book series. That's just mean and unfair.

Sorry if I sound angry but this was too much, even with the strike in mind.

Suede
Member Avatar
Lady of Dragonstone

He and other game developers gotta be more like George Kamitani.

Posted Image
Posted ImageRest in peace, Joe.
Awards

Webbie
Member Avatar
THUG ROSE!
To this day I don't understand the fuss.

Tits are nice. I hope we see more nice tits in DS. Hopefully the asses are better than Quiet's, too.
[rotate]Posted Image[rotate]Posted Image[rotate]

Octavious Wrex
Member Avatar
The man, the myth, the Monster

I don't think it's an issue, but it's kind of sad that he's still falling into the same old trap. It's like Kojima thinks breast size is a character detail.

Just the fact that he is coming out and declaring that if a character looks this way (which we all know they will) there will be a good reason (which we all know there won't be) is kind of funny.

The reason a female character has large breasts is because the design dictates she does, there is no other reason. No amount of back story changes that.

Let me be clear, I don't mind TnA in games in the slightest. I just find Kojima's excuses when none are needed to be silly and pointless. To me it makes him seem even more of a pervert with his attempt to justify it, rather than just saying he likes titties and think they help sell games.

Instead he has to try to take the high ground, while calling out he industry for doing exactly what he has always done.

"Oh noes, I don't want to show tits, but my art demands that all these women dress in the skimpiest possible outfits for reasons!"
Spoiler: click to toggle

Posted Image
Compromise where you can. Where you can't, don't. Even if everyone is telling you that something wrong is something right. Even if the whole world is telling you to move, it is your duty to plant yourself like a tree, look them in the eye, and say 'No, you move'.

Webbie
Member Avatar
THUG ROSE!
Yeah, I didn't mean to sound dickish. That comment wasn't aimed at anyone in this thread. I just remember having the conversation about Quiet a year or so ago and there were people who seemed genuinely pissed off about Quiet. I don't understand that.

But seriously... the first time you played a Mortal Kombat game and saw those boobies jiggling around, let's not act like it wasn't something we thoroughly enjoyed! I think I played MK for at least a year longer than I should just for that reason alone.

I mean, come on...

Not to mention all the other games that do the exact same thing and people barely mention it.

Ludens
I'll keep coming
If it's a seductive type of character whose sexuality contributes to the story and ties into the game's events (like Eva), then that's perfectly fine. if it's just a character who shows tits for absolutely no reason other than being a slut without any justification, that'd be fine too. but if it's just another Quiet situation, well fuck it doesn't sound any good, and that's coming from someone who had no problem with Quiet's design. he tried it once and it didn't pay off, would be a very stupid move to try that shit again.

However Kojima said he's taking another approach this time but didn't go into details, so there's no way to know what he has in mind right now. but if the character seen in Kojipro's happy holidays card from the last year is indeed the female lead of Death Stranding, I guess her design wouldn't raise any controversy this time. have a look:

Posted Image

She does look sexy, but at the same time her choice of clothing isn't hyper-sexualized like Quiet's. and judging by the look in her eyes and the overall character design, she might very well be the seductive type I was talking about. if Kojima want to show tits, having a character like that is the way to go, and people aren't gonna be mad about the character's design.
Edited by Ludens, Jan 28 2017, 03:20:06 PM.
Posted Image

CIA
Member Avatar

that isn't some kinda goofy formulas on her thigh is it...?

god. can you imagine normal having his jaw drop and moving his head around like a retarded puppy gawking at her formulas. asking if he can desu san her black hole?

god help us.
Posted Image
Departed: I hate MGS 1 because I'm old.
Forum Bling

The Departed
Member Avatar
Your friendly neighborhood truck

CIA

Nah, Normal's gonna cry at the first sight of her:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Dirty Duck

Duck as sake no bidibgeybfbfhailhydradrinkn:(

awards and such

r.i.p. to the coolest dude we'll ever know :gary:

sadistic_greyfox
Member Avatar
Midnight Leader

As suede said, Just admit you're a f'ing perv Already Kojima. We been down this road too many times with you. WE KNOW YOU.
Posted Image
Missing you more with each day, Joe

MemoriesLP
Member Avatar

I really don't care if the breasts of a female character are big or not. I care more if the person is beautifull or not.

Quiet has a good and deep story, she is amazing, but the way she is presented is just terrible. She is like a toy to shake her breasts to the camera. She even take a shower in front of you lol.
The Beautys and Quiet are good characters, I really like them. But I still think Kojima sexualizes them because he likes to do that and that's it.
Sorry about my English!! I'm from Brazil :)
Posted Image

"Mas nao importa, nao faz mal, voce ainda pensa e eh melhor do que nada, tudo que voce podia ser, ou nada"

sadistic_greyfox
Member Avatar
Midnight Leader

Thats exactly its, quiet is an object. Kojima originally stated he wanted more folks to cosplay mgs so this design was made. Dont know if it worked. She looks cooler in her fatigues or sniper wolf camos.
Posted Image

Doakes
Member Avatar

It seems there was success on that front, Sadistic_Greyfox - There was an immense influx of Quiet cosplay when it comes to MGS cosplay as a whole now. Surprisingly, people have actually gotten VERY creative on that front!
Posted Image
Posted Image

Regardless, Kojima is all too often, in his own world, and this is yet another example of that. He's putting meaning where none exists. If he wants characters scantly dressed, I'd at least respect him more if he was straight up about it as Suede said with that awesome comic. :P

Because drawing more attention to it, or trying to justify it, makes it all the more stupid. Look at Quiet, for instance. She was an excellent character in MGSV, and quite literally, until the Side Op explaining the way she looked happened, I had zero complaints, because she was a compelling character full of intrigue, and her more provocative attire was an interesting juxtaposition from her Superman levels of power and Punisher levels of violence. Being left at that worked just fine, because I've always believed that character comes before aesthetic. If there's a character that exists there, then I don't care if they're dressed a certain way or more provocative, even if I personally wouldn't design characters that way. THEN Kojima had to try and explain it away. And suddenly, I was ripped out of the moment and remembered that, yes, Kojima is a very Auteur Pervert. Where else but a Kojima game would a Side Op entail watching a prisoner shower while explaining Ocelot tries to be scientific about erotica?

It's like Liquid Ocelot. It's stupid, so just own it. Explaining it away just makes me think about something more, and only makes it all the more glaringly dumb. And Kojima's comments here would suggest an extreme lack of self awareness. Like a joke we're all still laughing about, while the subject of that joke is just nodding his head, assuming the laughter is acknowledgement of their brilliance.
Posted Image

NateDog
Member Avatar
We have arrived.
sadistic_greyfox
Jan 30 2017, 06:06:25 PM
Thats exactly its, quiet is an object. Kojima originally stated he wanted more folks to cosplay mgs so this design was made. Dont know if it worked. She looks cooler in her fatigues or sniper wolf camos.
Yerp, he designed her for that and eroticism (he said this in the same quote). Really needs to get over himself and his pompousness and just accept how perverted he is and that everyone knows it. Or were the FHM girls a key part of the Patriot's plans??
Watch this space.

Webbie
Member Avatar
THUG ROSE!
sadistic_greyfox
Jan 30 2017, 06:06:25 PM
She looks cooler in her fatigues or sniper wolf camos.
I agree. I always thought she looked best in her XOF gear, but loved the Sniper Wolf look as well.

sadistic_greyfox
Member Avatar
Midnight Leader

The Question is, is it really kojima or just the Japanese on the whole? Look at the tekken creator as well as neir Automata, they reeally revel in it.
Posted Image

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Death Stranding · Next Topic »
Add Reply

User Color Code
Admin · Global Moderator · Forum Moderator · Member · Validating · Banned