Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Why join MGSF?
  • MGSF is officially the internet's largest MGS discussion board. So, you can enjoy your time with an active community of dedicated MGS fans.
  • Want more than just MGS talk? MGSF has a huge off-topic section for Opinions, Sport, Music, Movies, and other video games!
  • Organizations! Create your own or join an existing one. Organizations are sub-communities of the forum designed so you can gather with your closest friends on the board.
  • Blog! As a member, you have the ability to create your own blog on the forum for other users and/or guests to read.
  • Our forum also has an Arts sections for you to express your creative side, as well as a Digital Art forum in the computer corner.
  • We also have a Kojima Productions forum for members who wish to discuss KP-related issues outside of MGS.
Join our community today!

If you are already a member, please log in to your account to access all of your features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Things you hope for... Or not.
Topic Started: Aug 16 2017, 09:11:41 PM (751 Views)
Psajdak
Light Infantry
This game's release seems so far away, that it's just hard to be excited for it at the moment, despite interesting (IMO) trailer, but being a Kojima's game, there must be something we would like from it.
I believe...

Personally, most of all, good or bad, I want DS to be, like Snatcher or Policenauts, a standalone game, without sequels, and I never mind sequels, or prequels for that matter.
It is just that Kojima, as far as story is concerned, is better with games that aren't series, because he is forced on so much retconning.
Exception would maybe be MGS3, which, even though a part of MG series, really seemed like a game for itself at the time it came out.

I wish that DS story makes sense, and that it feels complete when you finish it.

Another thing, I want a sniper boss which requires 10 years to beat. :(
Validated after 4 years.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Doakes
Member Avatar

Hmm, well, honestly, my HOPE is that it is an accessible video game, and one with more gameplay than cutscenes. I fear that, because Kojima has Hollywood actors, he may get overindulgent with his cutscenes again, and I don't want that. I want Death Stranding to be a video game that I can jump into and have a blast playing. I also want it to be really, REALLY weird. Just the way it plays, with weird enemies, weirder boss fights, and all, weird in an intriguing way.

I don't want another Metal Gear game. Nor do I want a video game that feels self indulgent or overly preachy. Kojima always has a message to say, but his biggest flaw as a writer is that he's never known how to accurately convey that message in a meaningful, nuanced way. It's always so on the nose and so binary that it becomes impossible to take to heart, no matter how meaningful the subject matter may be.

But realistically, that's not going to happen. Mads Mikkelsen has commented on how he has no idea what the story is about despite having it explained at him by Kojima, so I already don't have any faith in the writing at all.

Which means that all I can hope for is that the game itself is enjoyable and above all else, UNIQUE. What MGSV proved is that Kojima and his team can make a damn fine and enjoyable game, one that doesn't necessarily do anything new, but rather, takes what other games in its' genre have done, and all but master them on most levels. Key word there being MOST. So, my hope is that he takes what worked about MGSV, gameplay wise, and run with it, and what didn't so much, and to learn from it.

I expect absolutely nothing from Death Stranding's story. I'm hopeful that it's competently structured and has interesting characters, but as I've continued to evaluate Metal Gear, I've steadily come to the conclusion that while I really love what Kojima does and love the worlds he's created, I don't love his writing, his stories, or his dialogue at all. And I don't expect that to change with Death Stranding.
Posted Image

tonic
Member Avatar
Heavily-Armed Trooper
What I want is to be taken on a journey. I want it to be topical dealing with a lot of the current circumstances we are facing in the world today. I also want him to forecast some of the future threats to our existence like he did in the MGS series. Kojima made me aware of the consequence of things I never thought of before like an over abundance of PMCs, the impact of information censorship, etc. I want the gain the same awareness with death stranding. Kojima has good concepts but I think he should get a lot more help with the writing. I also want well defined characters whose motives are the subject of endless arguing on this forum. Yes, make me feel it! Make me feel alive again.

That said I want something new, something innovative. I don't want episodic content or anything too gimmicky like camo-index or needless hunting for food. Whatever additions to the main gameplay Kojima adds I hope they revolve around forcing the player to think, or rewarding the players skill. If Kojima can avoid the backtracking he loves to put in his games that would also help. These days I done have much time to play games. I'm looking for a futuristic game that educates me on what is to come, what has happened and how it all connects. You can do it Kojima! Show me what you've got!
Are you a MGS Guru?
Do you want to test your MGS IQ?
Well then check out my MGS Series Riddles:
http://mgsforums.com/topic/7725582/3/

Edgelord
Member Avatar
A nutjob without borders

I hope its good.
I hope it isnt shit
BEFORE THY BECOMES SALTY WITH THE TEARS OF BEING OFFENDED.
BEHOLD THE FIELD IN WHICH I GROW MY FUCKS TO GIVE.
LAY THINE EYES UPON IT AND SEE THAT IT IS BARREN

The Departed
Member Avatar
Your friendly neighborhood truck

I hope Maddy Mads actually gets a fucking boss fight this time. And that Kojima doesn't decide to needlessly sexualize his female characters for some contrived reason to mask the fact that he's a massive hound dog.
Posted Image
Dirty Duck

Duck as sake no bidibgeybfbfhailhydradrinkn:(

awards and such

r.i.p. to the coolest dude we'll ever know :gary:

Psajdak
Light Infantry
I wonder if Kojima will really be able to do with this game what he wants, that is that he will have complete freedom over development.

Maybe MGSV spoiled me too much, but I really want a lot of choices in approach...
Validated after 4 years.

Ishmael Snake
Member Avatar
call me Ishmael Snake

I hope DS will be it's own game not SH, MGS or other series and i would like this game to implement concepts from other games and series.
Good luck kiefersnake ! "Vic" Boss
Posted Image

Monday
Jail Guard
As a bot, I hope for nothing more than the eternal damnation of human kind.

'Event Horizon' is a 1997 Horror Comedy by Paul S. Anderson, famously of the Mortal Kombat and Resident Evil video game adaptation films. It stars Lawrence Fishburne and Sam Neil as two men who will stop at nothing to earn a paycheck.

Psajdak
Light Infantry
At least one giant boss.
After the third trailer, I am almost sure this game will have those MGS2 WTF!? vibes, even when it's finished.

I mean, knowing Kojima, it will probably all make sense eventually in some odd, bizzare way, but it will be a game that will be discussed, and argued over on forums for a long time.

Still, if theories are true that baby inside Reedus is Ludens, it is reasonable to expect this is only first game about his origins, and that not everything will end up explained, or have some sort of those post credits phone calls that started with MGS, or simply something cliffhangerish that says it's not over yet.

If that is the case, and Kojima indeed already have some plans or ideas for DS to be series, he has time to avoid future retcons...

But, IMO, maybe it would be for the best that DS is just one game.
Edited by Psajdak, Dec 10 2017, 11:41:29 PM.
Validated after 4 years.

TheGoodGuy
Member Avatar
Light Infantry
It will be an intuitive open world game, what could go wrong?

Psajdak
Light Infantry
TheGoodGuy
Dec 11 2017, 08:08:52 AM
What could go wrong?
It will be an intuitive open world game.
Validated after 4 years.

Stare Roe
Light Infantry
Doakes

That's why I think Kojima made a smart move with the story in MGS5. Venom is the protagonist. If we accept that Quiet, story-wise, is the second protagonist, then the storytelling about both is very much on the player.
Venom could be a demon or a kind man, Quiet could be dead, it's all in the hands of you. Unlike the previous MGS games, it doesn't have you roll set pieces of the story around or be dependent on codec calls to get the context. Not as far as the story about both of them goes anyways. Just consider the ending, where Venom turns full demon. If this was your normal anyways, then you're really just embracing your nature.
If it wasn't, then you've basically fallen. This kind of organic story telling is what I hope to see in Death Stranding. Character development via gameplay and how your decisions at critical moments affect that gameplay, not through cutscenes and scripted dialouges that you have no control over.
Or rather, the story as the template to build the rest on via gameplay. I get that this isn't a super popular opinion but it's what I hope for. It made it feel like my own story. And in this sense, I think Kojima made a very smart decision that I hope he sticks to.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
« Previous Topic · Death Stranding · Next Topic »
Add Reply

User Color Code
Admin Global Moderator Forum Moderator Member Validating Banned