Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Why join MGSF?
  • MGSF is officially the internet's largest MGS discussion board. So, you can enjoy your time with an active community of dedicated MGS fans.
  • Want more than just MGS talk? MGSF has a huge off-topic section for Opinions, Sport, Music, Movies, and other video games!
  • Organizations! Create your own or join an existing one. Organizations are sub-communities of the forum designed so you can gather with your closest friends on the board.
  • Blog! As a member, you have the ability to create your own blog on the forum for other users and/or guests to read.
  • Our forum also has an Arts sections for you to express your creative side, as well as a Digital Art forum in the computer corner.
  • We also have a Kojima Productions forum for members who wish to discuss KP-related issues outside of MGS.
Join our community today!

If you are already a member, please log in to your account to access all of your features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Is the term SJW overused?
Topic Started: Sep 20 2017, 10:43:02 PM (1,642 Views)
Silent Assassin
Member Avatar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:

Social Justice Warrior. A pejorative term for an individual who repeatedly and vehemently engages in arguments on social justice on the Internet, often in a shallow or not well-thought-out way, for the purpose of raising their own personal reputation. A social justice warrior, or SJW, does not necessarily strongly believe all that they say, or even care about the groups they are fighting on behalf of. They typically repeat points from whoever is the most popular blogger or commenter of the moment, hoping that they will "get SJ points" and become popular in return. They are very sure to adopt stances that are "correct" in their social circle.

Been reading some articles on how PC "masterrace" is a term that PC gamers shouldn't take pride in, as it references Nazis. While that whole "PC masterrace" discussion is best left for another time, it reminded me of something I discussed some time ago.

When did common decency become "too PC" or "SJW"? Now, I dislike the whole 3rd wave feminism bullshit, people claiming there are 825 genders, sovereign citizens, highway lawyers that break the law then record themselves trying to outsmart the police and film it etc.

But why are people getting attacked/labeled as SJW when they show an ounce of just plain, common decency? Reading the PC masterrace article, some PC gamers refused to use that term to label themselves as it's connected to deaths of millions of people. I don't want to turn this into "it's only a joke" discussion, as that's best left for another time. The issue here is that people are being put down because they don't wanna use a Nazi term. And they're apparently SJWs for that.

Where do people draw the line between being an over the top SJW and just a normal person with common sense and decency? Because a lot of these discussions end up with any sort of sympathy being labeled as bad.

P.S.

Please don't use this as a discussion on PC gaming. It was just an example I read about recently.
Edited by Silent Assassin, Sep 20 2017, 10:45:29 PM.
Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

A Big Crocodile
Member Avatar
Filthy casuals

It depends on the angle it's coming from. From what I've noticed, right-wingers are quickly inclined to call anyone who has a more liberal stance than they do an SJW. When it comes from more centrist people, however, the term is usually dignified. That being said, I have noticed a trend, at least on the internet, not in my personal life thank god, that more and more people tend to be on the far-left end of the spectrum each passing year.

So I wouldn't say that the term is overused.
[rotate]Posted Image[rotate]Posted Image[rotate]Posted Image[rotate]Posted Image[rotate]
A Big Bad Croc's Big Bad Bragging Blog || My Soundcloud || My Mixcloud

Forever a boss

black king
Member Avatar
...Burger King?

Labels and name calling tend to get tossed around easily in internet arguments. As far as the internet goes, SJW is used as an insult by some. Usually on those who have any sort of left leaning view, regardless of how slight or extreme the lean is. Namely because, online at least, the left has become more associated with...well;

Quote:

the whole 3rd wave feminism bullshit, people claiming there are 825 genders, sovereign citizens, highway lawyers that break the law then record themselves trying to outsmart the police and film it etc.

Kind of silly, as if fighting for social justice is a bad thing. Then again, we also have a topic asking if too much social justice leading to political correctness gone mad. :hmm:

Posted Image
The Rules | My MTG Decks

Awards

Currently Playing: Pokemon White | Pokemon White 2

Mr. Tibbs
Member Avatar

Is the term over used? Absolutely.

The Baneposter
Member Avatar
Only me

yeah no shit

it doesnt even have meaning anymore
Posted Image
Spoiler: click to toggle
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Silent Assassin
Member Avatar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

These are internet discussions, after all. So most of them, when it comes to social issues, turn into a shitshow with not much of a decent discussion. But they're getting to the point where someone who doesn't want to use the word nig*er, for example, is labeled as a SJW.

It's like finding that normal, happy middle is hard.

Posted Image

WhiteThinDuke
Member Avatar

The Baneposter
Sep 20 2017, 11:03:12 PM
kinda like 'racist' :cool:

A Big Crocodile
Member Avatar
Filthy casuals

"Racist" and "nazi" are definetely overused, perhaps along with "pedophile". I don't know, maybe it's my own bias playing here. I don't often call people SJW's unless they have extremely left ideas.
[rotate]Posted Image[rotate]Posted Image[rotate]Posted Image[rotate]Posted Image[rotate]

Forever a boss

Mr. Tibbs
Member Avatar

Wait what? When is pedophile over used?

A Big Crocodile
Member Avatar
Filthy casuals

It's used by drama whores on the internet.

Forever a boss

The Baneposter
Member Avatar
Only me

A Big Crocodile
Sep 20 2017, 11:12:15 PM

you never fail to prove that you're the biggest moron on this whole forum

WhiteThinDuke
Sep 20 2017, 11:03:56 PM
The Baneposter

Not really. I'd actually argue that recent attempts at the normalization of racism and bigotry is what resulted in the proliferation of SJW as a term.
Posted Image
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

doubleo sigint
Member Avatar
I just wanna see you shine 'cause I know you are a Stargirl

It is, like most negative nouns online.
Waiting for Shenmue III like...
Posted Image

A Big Crocodile
Member Avatar
Filthy casuals

The Baneposter
Sep 20 2017, 11:15:50 PM
A Big Crocodile
Sep 20 2017, 11:12:15 PM

you never fail to prove that you're the biggest moron on this whole forum

WhiteThinDuke
Sep 20 2017, 11:03:56 PM
The Baneposter

Not really. I'd actually argue that recent attempts at the normalization of racism and bigotry is what resulted in the proliferation of SJW as a term.
I'm pretty sure that, in the heat of the YouTube drama shitstorm a few years ago, H3H3 was being accused of being a pedophile. And Keemstar is the ultimate champion of calling people all sorts of names. But I guess I'm an idiot and I don't know shit about anything.

Forever a boss

Supreme Leader Dante
Member Avatar
Supreme Leader

Let's refrain from straight up name calling and at least try and pretend be somewhat smart when denigrating an opponent on a message board.
Posted Image

OS.
Member Avatar
MGSF'S DESTINY....IS TO NEVER DESTINY

It's a batsignal for the ignorant.

I don't take people who use it in normal conversation seriously; that goes for the majority of parlance that has found a new lease of life among people that live and breathe the internet.

Dante

Let's refrain from straight up name calling and at least try and pretend be somewhat smart when denigrating an opponent on a message board.
1st Amendment and Boobs, the intelligentsia won't suppress me motherfucker, I'm the goddamn woke. Anita is the devil, kekcuckedydoo, I need Scissors!...to cut the fluoride supply.
Edited by OS., Sep 21 2017, 02:42:36 AM.
Posted Image

Posted Image

:gary:
To Gary, RIP friend.

Octavious Wrex
Member Avatar
The man, the myth, the Monster

OS.
Sep 21 2017, 02:37:04 AM
It's a batsignal for the ignorant.

I don't take people who use it in normal conversation seriously; that goes for the majority of parlance that has found a new lease of life among people that live and breathe the internet.
I was about to say something very similar. It's one of those words that make me think a person is just parroting something that they heard without understanding. It's on a list of words that make me roll my eyes anytime I see it, along with other shining examples of human intelligence like KKKonservative or libtard. Usually people don't go throw terms around like this don't have anything to say that's worth reading.

I mean I might not have anything to say worth reading either, but I try not to telegraph it like some choose to.

Posted Image
Compromise where you can. Where you can't, don't. Even if everyone is telling you that something wrong is something right. Even if the whole world is telling you to move, it is your duty to plant yourself like a tree, look them in the eye, and say 'No, you move'.

Ranch DuBois Est. 2014
Member Avatar

Mr. Gibbs
Sep 20 2017, 11:08:31 PM
ABC is Belgian, they do things different over there, I wouldn't go down the rabbit hole of his relationship with that word if I were you.
Sorry I'm pretty drunk I don't mean to accuse you of being a pedophile but come on Belgium is a funny country
Edited by Ranch DuBois Est. 2014, Sep 21 2017, 04:11:04 AM.
Posted Image

Rest In Peace, Joe.

Edgelord
Member Avatar
A nutjob without borders

Ranch DuBois Est. 2014
Sep 21 2017, 03:12:14 AM
Mr. Gibbs
Sep 20 2017, 11:08:31 PM
ABC is Belgian, they do things different over there, I wouldn't go down the rabbit hole of his relationship with that word if I were you.
Sorry I'm pretty drunk I don't mean to accuse you of being a pedophile but come on Belgium is a funny country
Listen buddeh no need to go aboot making national stereotypes guy!! You hear me friend? Relax buddeh
BEFORE THY BECOMES SALTY WITH THE TEARS OF BEING OFFENDED.
BEHOLD THE FIELD IN WHICH I GROW MY FUCKS TO GIVE.
LAY THINE EYES UPON IT AND SEE THAT IT IS BARREN

Ranch DuBois Est. 2014
Member Avatar

Go fuck a sheep you unibrowed maniac
Posted Image

Rest In Peace, Joe.

Edgelord
Member Avatar
A nutjob without borders

Ranch DuBois Est. 2014
Sep 21 2017, 04:46:43 PM
Go fuck a sheep you unibrowed maniac
Fine. Give me your address then you colonist offspring of gypsy folk
BEFORE THY BECOMES SALTY WITH THE TEARS OF BEING OFFENDED.
BEHOLD THE FIELD IN WHICH I GROW MY FUCKS TO GIVE.
LAY THINE EYES UPON IT AND SEE THAT IT IS BARREN

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
ZetaBoards gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Opinions/Confessions · Next Topic »
Add Reply

User Color Code
Admin Global Moderator Forum Moderator Member Validating Banned