Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Why join MGSF?
  • MGSF is officially the internet's largest MGS discussion board. So, you can enjoy your time with an active community of dedicated MGS fans.
  • Want more than just MGS talk? MGSF has a huge off-topic section for Opinions, Sport, Music, Movies, and other video games!
  • Organizations! Create your own or join an existing one. Organizations are sub-communities of the forum designed so you can gather with your closest friends on the board.
  • Blog! As a member, you have the ability to create your own blog on the forum for other users and/or guests to read.
  • Our forum also has an Arts sections for you to express your creative side, as well as a Digital Art forum in the computer corner.
  • We also have a Kojima Productions forum for members who wish to discuss KP-related issues outside of MGS.
Join our community today!

If you are already a member, please log in to your account to access all of your features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Derogatory words; Meanings/Terms of endearment and smearing
Topic Started: Feb 27 2018, 09:31:25 AM (1,124 Views)
Edgelord
Member Avatar
A nutjob without borders

I've been seeing in some threads were people debate the word October-Rust, I mean Retard, and other words and whether they should be allowed even though the usage isn't used as personal attacks. Thought it's own thread would be a good idea.

I myself use the word Retard but not socially, mostly indoors where I'll mutter it if I see someone or something stupid on TV or at work if a fellow chef under or overcooks something and I'll go full Ramsey on them.

I also use the word Cunt a lot which here, Ireland, Wales and soke parts of England is used as a term of endearment. Like I could say you're a goodcunt. Or I'll replace the word Person with Cunt to describe situations or somebody but not mean it as a slander.

I and many others I know call convenient stores Paki shops because they're usually owned by Pakistani families and it isnt meant to be racist, although that term and the usage of that term is starting to fade out fortunately.
Also call chinese restaurants Chinkies. Those nicknames arent used mostly anywhere else so it is seen as racist slander.

Me and my friends also call each other Niga a lot but its not racist to us as we grew up watching the American Friday film series almost regularly and we were very young and it just continued into adulthood.

What type of language do you guys use socially or privately and what's your opinion on hearing others say certain words.

Personally I hate being called Ginger despite my hair being described as African Sunset
BEFORE THY BECOMES SALTY WITH THE TEARS OF BEING OFFENDED.
BEHOLD THE FIELD IN WHICH I GROW MY FUCKS TO GIVE.
LAY THINE EYES UPON IT AND SEE THAT IT IS BARREN
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

The Baneposter
Member Avatar
Only me

i still think the word retard should be banned alongside all the others.
Posted Image
Spoiler: click to toggle

Jassassino
Member Avatar
Avocados at law.

'Retard' isn't a nice word, and it's been used against family members of mine in a really malicious way by bigoted and horrid people. I find myself using it from time to time, but not a single time occurs where I don't instantly regret it and either correct myself halfway through saying it or feel silently guilty.

So yeah, ain't for the use of retard. Whether it's used by a close friend like Hank or someone I'm on relatively neutral terms with like WTD for jokes/insults, I ain't keen.

(That being said, I understand that there are a lot of places and people's who think the word is completely fine and lack awareness of the social connotations it carries. Similarly to the British use of "mong" as opposed to the American use of it.)
Posted Image
Posted Image
Rest in Peace, OS.

Welcome to the Gallery

WhiteThinDuke
Member Avatar

Would probably be better for everyone if we put a leash on that word imo

Edgelord
Member Avatar
A nutjob without borders

Agree. People use the word and other words in moments of anger but it's usually under their breath but calling someone something in public or on forums is different. It's the way it is used also but still even if someone uses "Retard" in a comical way it will still upset someone and that's not okay because a lot of people have relations who suffer from mental or physical disabilities

I only personally insult Bots on the forum.

October Rust
Member Avatar
"Saint Lucifer hear me praying to thee...on this eve, of all saints."

You're a smelly cunt, Mark.
Posted Image
Posted Image

FH Co Leader
Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law. Love is the Law, love under will.

They do not sweat and whine about their condition;
They do not lie awake in the dark and weep for their sins;
They do not make me sick discussing their duty to God.

Awards

Edgelord
Member Avatar
A nutjob without borders

October Rust
Feb 27 2018, 04:16:59 PM
You're a smelly cunt, Mark.
True.. They say you are what you eat.

Dick!!

Bames Jond
Member Avatar
now this is pod racing

i've tried to stop my use of the word retard for that reason. if you're against using the obvious slurs, you can't really still use retard and be logically consistent. ofc when i'm out on the road i'll still have an urge to call other drivers retards sometimes but i don't vocalize it anymore at least. i just call them mouthbreathers or jerkoffs instead now.

i'm jealous of brits and aussies in that cunt doesn't apparently have the same sexist connotations there as it does in the states. it's such a great word that really doesn't need to be considered a sexist slur. imo bitch is way worse on that front. a lot of americans don't realize how cunt is a more casual word pretty much everywhere else, so using it here can get you in some trouble.

Tommybabes PWP. x
Member Avatar
XOF COMANDANTE
personally I KNOW that I'm not a racist/sexist/homophobe/transphobe/walrusphobe so i'll gladly call anyone anything in casual conversation at the drop of a hat without any remorse :P

I really believe that context and meaning is FAR more important than the words themselves.
Posted Image

Honorary sig from blindfox

XOF's new 4 point custom sigs

The Baneposter
Member Avatar
Only me

That's good and all but quite simply you don't get decide the context. If you call someone nigga or use the word tranny or whatever your intention might be innocent but you're in the wrong for using them and if someone rightfully gets pissed about it they have a point. These words are fine between friends and people you know will take it well but expecting everyone to be okay with derogatory, loaded words because of your intentions and ''the context bro'' is silly.
Posted Image

Tommybabes PWP. x
Member Avatar
XOF COMANDANTE
i did mean between friends when i said casual conversation. (i don't even swear infront of strangers or clients, just feels weird.)

Posted Image

Honorary sig from blindfox

XOF's new 4 point custom sigs

Ranch DuBois Est. 2014
Member Avatar

Yeah I generally donít go around calling people nigger tranny faggots cause I would like to give people an err of sofistication But I can tell you donít have that problem

Posted Image

Rest In Peace, Joe.

El Psy Kongroo
Member Avatar
We never lost control.
Tommybabes PWP. x
Mar 17 2018, 01:08:17 AM
personally I KNOW that I'm not a racist/sexist/homophobe/transphobe/walrusphobe so i'll gladly call anyone anything in casual conversation at the drop of a hat without any remorse :P

I really believe that context and meaning is FAR more important than the words themselves.
You yourself might not be those things, but by using words that are used to hurt disadvantaged groups, you're enabling people who do. You're passively telling people who do hold those kinds of beliefs "Hey, saying these things is normal and okay."

"Is dying really that scary to you?"

doubleo sigint
Member Avatar
I just wanna see you shine 'cause I know you are a Stargirl

Baneposter

If you call someone nigga

Don't use that word please, I've decided you've pissed me off now just by saying it.
Edited by doubleo sigint, Mar 17 2018, 10:52:18 AM.
Waiting for Shenmue III like...
Posted Image

WhiteThinDuke
Member Avatar

The Nighttime Fear
Mar 17 2018, 05:36:31 AM
Tommybabes PWP. x
Mar 17 2018, 01:08:17 AM

You yourself might not be those things, but by using words that are used to hurt disadvantaged groups, you're enabling people who do. You're passively telling people who do hold those kinds of beliefs "Hey, saying these things is normal and okay."
might makes right

Lucent
Member Avatar
Covert Taskforce Member
I don't believe that people should use derogatory words to attack others, particularly if they are using it to attack someone who is of that particular ethnic origin. However, sometimes it's really easy for someone to get attacked for making a comment which contains an ethnic slur, despite the fact that the comment itself was completely harmless. Like that police officer who was suspended for sending this meme through a text because he won like a couple bucks from the lottery:

Some people may really be completely harmless in their comment, but unknowingly offend someone else. The context is extremely important. There are obviously certain words which will never be properly used in a "positive" way, such as "retard" because people use it specifically as an insult. There are people who use offensive language as a form of endearment, I guess, but it's really hard to control who can say what, and how.

There was a moderator (female) I dealt with in a gaming clan that would ban you outright for saying "cunt", regardless of your region or intention. It seemed really extreme, because we had good members who were made to leave. You can call someone any name or racial slur, but you couldn't call them a "cunt". Seemed like she had a personal problem with the word. It feels like there are also varying degrees of what is considered unacceptable in society.
If my signature is too big, please say something so I can fix it. Thank you.
Posted Image

Edgelord
Member Avatar
A nutjob without borders

Lucent
Mar 18 2018, 07:21:00 PM

There was a moderator (female) I dealt with in a gaming clan that would ban you outright for saying "cunt", regardless of your region or intention. It seemed really extreme, because we had good members who were made to leave. You can call someone any name or racial slur, but you couldn't call them a "cunt". Seemed like she had a personal problem with the word. It feels like there are also varying degrees of what is considered unacceptable in society.
She sounds like she's just angry hers isn't getting used lol.

Kestrel
Member Avatar
Lance Coconut
I can't stand it when people have double standards for things like this. For example, the touchy subject of black people being able to say 'nigga' and 'cracker' but white people can't say either of them. I believe that anyone of any age or colour can say whatever they want, because the very notion that someone can or cannot say something, do something, or look a certain way based on their ethnicity or the colour of their skin is absolutely outrageous, and it's the basis of the old system we've fought for so long to get rid of.

tl;dr Martin Luther King Jr. isn't proud
Posted Image
:gary:
Gary Town is Forever
#bringbackblack

Supreme Leader Dante
Member Avatar
Supreme Leader

>invoking MLK jr to defend the use of slurs

Posted Image
Posted Image

The Departed
Member Avatar
Your friendly neighborhood truck

I think slurs in general are shitty. Only slur I still say is literally with my mom whenever I visit her and leave.

"Peace my sand nigga."

Or with a select few friends I private ironically since we all grew up in east side. Malice or not, I think flippant use of those words is an indicator that a person is really inconsiderate to those around them. And I think that's really dickish, pure and simple.

What words people choose to use is their business. But whether in public, or private, freedom of speech =/= Freedom of cosequence.
Posted Image
Dirty Duck

Duck as sake no bidibgeybfbfhailhydradrinkn:(

awards and such

r.i.p. to the coolest dude we'll ever know :gary:

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Opinions/Confessions · Next Topic »
Add Reply

User Color Code
Admin Global Moderator Forum Moderator Member Validating Banned