Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Why join MGSF?
  • MGSF is officially the internet's largest MGS discussion board. So, you can enjoy your time with an active community of dedicated MGS fans.
  • Want more than just MGS talk? MGSF has a huge off-topic section for Opinions, Sport, Music, Movies, and other video games!
  • Organizations! Create your own or join an existing one. Organizations are sub-communities of the forum designed so you can gather with your closest friends on the board.
  • Blog! As a member, you have the ability to create your own blog on the forum for other users and/or guests to read.
  • Our forum also has an Arts sections for you to express your creative side, as well as a Digital Art forum in the computer corner.
  • We also have a Kojima Productions forum for members who wish to discuss KP-related issues outside of MGS.
Join our community today!

If you are already a member, please log in to your account to access all of your features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Far Cry 5; Welcome to Hope County
Topic Started: Mar 29 2018, 12:15:00 AM (337 Views)
Bread
Member Avatar
MGSV is a bit shit

Why does this topic not exist yet lol

So I've played a hearty chunk of Far Cry 5 now (about 8-10 hours), and there are some flaws that need to be talked about, because they're turning a really good game into a pretty frustrating experience from time to time. I'll start with some positives though:

+ Hope County is absolutely gorgeous. It's big, and I mean really, really big so it'd have been very easy for Ubisoft to fill the huge map with a lot of pointless, boring space (looking at you Phantom Pain), but it's realised quite wonderfully. It packed full of interesting towns, ranches, wilderness and farmland. Each area has been intricately designed to feel like a real place, and I absolutely love it.

+ Controls are tight, and gameplay is fun. This has never really been a problem for the series, but it's nice to see it implemented well again here. Both hip fire and scoped aiming are satisfying, and the gunfights play out quite nicely.

+ The villains so far are fantastic. I've only met 2 (out of what I assume is 4), but both the main guy Joseph (who you've seen in the trailers) and his brother John are creepy, intimidating, unnerving and yet oddly engaging and charismatic. The story hasn't really kicked in yet, but hopefully it does their motives justice and hopefully the endgame is climactic and satisfying. I'll not be having Joseph suffer the Vaas treatment thank you very much.

+ Companion AI is solid on the whole. You don't have to give them much input in terms of commands, if you engage in combat, they'll simply do what has to be done. I haven't quite figured out if them getting spotted triggers an alarm, but I haven't encountered any problems yet on that front, so that's a good sign. If you go in stealthily, you can command them to engage specific targets. So overall, it's pretty neat. Only unlocked Boomer, Grace and Nick so far, but their unique skillsets are coming in quite handy, and I look forward to mixing and matching with the other 6 when I unlock them for specific circumstances.

+ Boomer is adorable. Better than Dogmeat and better than D-Dog. Fucking fight me.

+ The soundtrack is absolutely gorgeous. The lovely acoustic, bluesy guitar riff on the pause menu is a wonderful bit of music, as are the various pieces like it spread across the map. The increase in volume and tension when you engage an enemy is both unsettling and pulsating. It really is well scored.

- Enemies are spawning on the map far too frequently, and it's driving me absolutely mad. Sometimes I'll be travelling 100m between towns, and I'll be stopped on the way by a truck full of cultists who will mow me down. What's also frustrating about this is that I can't talk to NPC's who have missions to give out or information to tell because they're "in conflict", and it's infuriating waiting for it to blow over. And don't get me started on the enemy planes that sometimes fly overhead.

- Stealth is hard and inconsistent. Sometimes I'll charge straight at an enemy, and somehow manage to hit a silent takedown. Other times I'll be on the high ground with a sniper rifle, and they immediately spot me from about 150m away. You can't offer me an incentive to liberate an outpost stealthily (money), and then have your stealth gameplay be so goddamn erratic.

- Some of the missions are dumb. There's one mission where a vulture has stolen some dude's barn keys, and you have to shoot them down and retrieve it. Which, even with a sniper rifle, is ridiculously frustrating. Then there's another mission where you have to wait for a bull and a cow to start mating, so that you can kill the bull and loot it's testicles (yes, you read that right). The majority of missions are really fun and serve a purpose...these are not them.

-----------------------------------------------

Overall, I'm really enjoying the game. The positives far outweigh the negatives, but it's frustrating that these niggling negatives exist, because the experience could be an outstanding one if not for them.
Edited by Bread, Mar 29 2018, 12:17:57 AM.
[rotate]Posted Image[rotate]Posted Image[rotate]
Awards

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

The Departed
Member Avatar
Nigel Blartberry

I'm on the fence tbh. I didn't like Far Cry 4 because it was really repetitive, and everyone I know who played Far Cry 5 says it's more of the same you've come to expect from Far Cry 5.
Posted Image
Dirty Duck

Duck as sake no bidibgeybfbfhailhydradrinkn:(

awards and such

r.i.p. to the coolest dude we'll ever know :gary:

Bread
Member Avatar
MGSV is a bit shit

The Departed
Mar 29 2018, 08:05:55 PM
I'm on the fence tbh. I didn't like Far Cry 4 because it was really repetitive, and everyone I know who played Far Cry 5 says it's more of the same you've come to expect from Far Cry 5.
Haven't played Far Cry 4, so couldn't tell you. I do prefer it to Far Cry 3 though, which I found to be somewhat overrated.
Awards

squallman1
Member Avatar
Hello Mate!
I'm really enjoying this one, I've never liked the previous FC games but this one has completely pulled me in. The setting for me is perfect, better than the others imo.

Twitter | Twitch | YouTube | My Website

Bread
Member Avatar
MGSV is a bit shit

So I've finally finished this game. Let's talk about that ending.

Spoiler: click to toggle
Awards

Doakes
Member Avatar

I'm not exactly in love with the games single player or it's gameplay loop, but I recently discovered that Far Cry 5 has a level editor and I haven't stopped since. The level and mission editor for this game is the best I've ever seen. The only thing missing is the option to actually customize the enemy NPC's and their strengths.
Posted Image

El Psy Kongroo
Member Avatar
We never lost control.
FC5 looks really cool, I'd like to play it one day. I haven't played the series since 3, which I really liked.
Spoiler: click to toggle

"Is dying really that scary to you?"

Sn4ke
Member Avatar
Damned
I played a little bit but wasn't that all impressed with the game. It's pretty but I wish there was more depth story-wise. I wish this game was more like True Detective.
Posted Image

Doakes
Member Avatar

Finding someone actually playing a Metal Gear-themed level I made online was kind of endearing. :P
Posted Image

Edgelord
Member Avatar
A nutjob without borders

Ubisoft are famous for having everyone of their games having a really unsatisfying ending. But that's what happens when you rush games out every year. You'd think they'd learn. Origins is their best so far and that's because they took their time
BEFORE THY BECOMES SALTY WITH THE TEARS OF BEING OFFENDED.
BEHOLD THE FIELD IN WHICH I GROW MY FUCKS TO GIVE.
LAY THINE EYES UPON IT AND SEE THAT IT IS BARREN

Doakes
Member Avatar

I'm not sure what to make of Far Cry 5. I'm wholly not the least bit engaged by the campaign. Narrative wise, I've seen the Seeds to death. They all have personality, and they're played quite well by their respective voice actors, but these are just wholly unoriginal characters. I do like the lack of structure in the campaign and how everything you're doing is basically leading you to the next big story beat, and I think in those story beats, the campaign comes to life a little bit, and it all feels quite organic. The problem is that the in-between stuff is basically just more of the same gameplay loop that, frankly, I got bored of half way into Far Cry 3. It's not that it's bad, it's that it just doesn't do anything for me, enjoyment wise.

If there was a little more meat to the filler that's basically driving us to the main story missions, I think this would be a winning gameplay model. But as is, I'm just kind of bored of the gameplay and not really excited to confront any of the villains because all of them feel like the same kind of character; the True Detective Spaghetti Monster and his cult of pedophile serial killers.

Yet, at the exact same time, the Level Editor is not only amazing, it's Developer Quality stuff. I've spent hours upon hours just making levels, and learning from what works and what doesn't. You can create honest to God Deus Ex style boss battles by inserting the villains into a level you design with plenty of hiding spots, environmental advantages and explosive assets. You can make a level completely OSP, add modifiers like Total Stealth, one hit kills, and all that. With just a LITTLE more customization with the actual NPC's, and being able to design how the NPC's actually look, the Arcade Mode alone could provide virtually endless replay value.

As a matter of fact, I'd go as far as to say purchasing this game is almost worth it for the Arcade Mode alone. At least for Single Player since, from my understanding, the multiplayer version of it is a complete mess. But seriously! You can create assassination missions, Outposts that you have to defend, missions where you need to reach a goal, and missions where you just have to eliminate everything. For those looking to get into game development, this is perfect to test your level design skills, because you get to create and give every mission you play a test run. You can see if it's too easy, if there are exploits, if the map doesn't have enough thought put into it. And you can see what other people rate your maps to see if maybe it needs fixing up!

So, on one hand, the overall game of Far Cry 5 is, at least in my opinion, not very impressive nor is it the least bit engaging. Maybe that changes down the road, maybe it doesn't. But if I'm this far into the game and just not feeling it, odds are good, that probably won't change. Yet, on the other hand, one single mode, which allows me to create levels and missions, and allows me to play them as well as the levels created by others, is so good that it could be the entirety of the game, and I'd lap it up like a pig to slop. I don't think I've ever felt this way about a game before. And honestly, I wish this was a feature in more games because if certain games had a level creator like the one in Far Cry 5, I don't think I'd ever stop playing them.
Alright, so I am fifteen hours into Far Cry 5. I've finally defeated the first Region Leader and sufficed to say, I have completely checked out of this game. The story missions with John Seed were all perfectly enjoyable, and the climax was especially exciting. I like that for once, we have actual boss fights against these colorful villains instead of quicktime event cutscenes and John Seed's boss fight was decidedly exciting and fun. But everything leading to that point has been an absolute chore. And I still have to do it all over again two more times with the other Leaders before I can confront the main villain, and I just don't have the interest.

It isn't that the gameplay is bad. It's all quite refined and mostly tight where it needs to be. But there's no real dynamic to any of it. All it seems like I'm doing is just random filler missions with the occasional character missions and three Region Leader missions per region. And the only missions that ever feel like they have color in their cheeks is the Villain-focused missions. Now, granted, I like the IDEA of what Far Cry 5's progression is going for. No matter what you do, EVERYTHING is gradually building towards the key progression points of each region. But none of that stuff is especially stimulating. Seen one firefight, seen 'em all. The stealth is too bare bones and binary to be especially fun, and almost everything just boils down to kill all the guards or blow up structures and silos.

Thus far, the best part of Far Cry 5 has been its' Arcade Mode and the villain missions, and I suspect that's probably going to be the case for the rest of the game. Far Cry 5 feels like a better version of Ghost Recon: Wildlands, but, like Wildlands, is just way too long for its' own good, and there's just too many periods of time when I'm not REALLY having a lot of fun playing it. I'll keep going of course, but thus far, this game is just not seeming like my cup of tea.
Posted Image

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Gaming Chat · Next Topic »
Add Reply

User Color Code
Admin Global Moderator Forum Moderator Member Validating Banned