Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Why join MGSF?
  • MGSF is officially the internet's largest MGS discussion board. So, you can enjoy your time with an active community of dedicated MGS fans.
  • Want more than just MGS talk? MGSF has a huge off-topic section for Opinions, Sport, Music, Movies, and other video games!
  • Organizations! Create your own or join an existing one. Organizations are sub-communities of the forum designed so you can gather with your closest friends on the board.
  • Blog! As a member, you have the ability to create your own blog on the forum for other users and/or guests to read.
  • Our forum also has an Arts sections for you to express your creative side, as well as a Digital Art forum in the computer corner.
  • We also have a Kojima Productions forum for members who wish to discuss KP-related issues outside of MGS.
Join our community today!

If you are already a member, please log in to your account to access all of your features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Differences between Survive and RDR Undead Nightmare?
Topic Started: Jun 10 2018, 04:48:13 PM (261 Views)
dg1995
Member Avatar
Jail Guard
If you guys don't know, MGS V Phantom Pain was inspired by some games. For example Mercenaries and Red Dead Redemption.(Not saying it's a bad thing .every game is inspired by other games for example the first Resident Evil Game was inspired by Alone In The Dark)

As for Survive it is obviously been inspired by the Undead Nightmare expansion pack for RDR(From what I have read about it since I haven't played it):

1.Alternate timelines.

2.Zombies.

3.Reused assets.(But more scarier version of it)

4.Not requiring the main game.

5.Serves as an expansion to the main game.

So can anyone here explain to me why one is considered to be "awesome" while the other one is considered by majority "Garbage" ?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Galactus123
Member Avatar
Light Infantry
Because RDR Undead Nightmare is good and Survive isn't. They are 2 completely different kind of games.
Edited by Galactus123, Jun 10 2018, 07:58:38 PM.
#AHideoKojimaGame

dg1995
Member Avatar
Jail Guard
In what ways it was better ? I am just curious.

And what part of Survive's gameplay was bad ? From what I can tell 99 percent of the complains about survive are the childish ones:"It's not like MGS so it sucks." "Zombies ! They ruined MGS !"

Not saying Survive is a masterpiece but it's far from being a worst Metal Gear game. I even liked to play it more than the majority of MGS games.(Excluding V which was due to it's length of story)

Khun
Member Avatar
Light Infantry
For starters, Survive might be more (or less) anti-American than RDR Undead Nightmare.
Edited by Khun, Jun 10 2018, 10:58:57 PM.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

The Departed
Member Avatar
Your friendly neighborhood truck

Surviveance has a lot more going against it than undead nightmare.

For starters, it's price, it's gameplay model, and the fact that it's Metal Gear in name alone. In Undead, you're still playing as John Cow Man. You even see zombies versions of RDR characters, including the dude voiced by Chase from Arrow.

Surviveance has no one. Everything Metal Gear about it is in name alone. Captain Customizable being an MSF is completely irrelevant because MSF never ties into the game in any meaningful way. Same with Reeve, who was a Zoff Man and that shit never came up.

The difference is one feels like a zombie expansion of RDR and us made better because you actually know the characters and see them in a completely different situation than the original game. Surviveance lacks any MGS characters and anything it's story that could make it feel like a Metal Gear story.

What tie-ins it has, Sally, Nanozombies, they're shoehorned at best and could have just as easily been written as anything else and the game wouldn't be affected one bit.
Posted Image
Dirty Duck

Duck as sake no bidibgeybfbfhailhydradrinkn:(

awards and such

r.i.p. to the coolest dude we'll ever know :gary:

dg1995
Member Avatar
Jail Guard
interesting.But I think that Survive developers were afraid to add any MGS characters since fans backlash would have been 4x more.

What about the gameplay though ? Other than always online and hunger/thirst that loses it purpose after FOB what things in Undead Nightmare is better ?
Khun
Jun 10 2018, 09:53:28 PM
For starters, Survive might be more (or less) anti-American than RDR Undead Nightmare.
MGS fans love the whole anti american theme that the whole franchise has so I guess that might be one reason.

Doakes
Member Avatar

dg1995
Jun 11 2018, 09:00:50 AM
interesting.But I think that Survive developers were afraid to add any MGS characters since fans backlash would have been 4x more.

What about the gameplay though ? Other than always online and hunger/thirst that loses it purpose after FOB what things in Undead Nightmare is better ?
Fan backlash had nothing to do with it, and that's another big part of what sets Undead Nightmare above Survive, and that's BUDGET. Metal Gear: Survive is an asset flip, one of the better ones to exist out there, but an asset flip nonetheless. Everything from the game is ripped straight from MGSV, from the in-game assets to the animations and voice over files. The Mortar, for example, is reusing a lot of the Man on Fire's animations. The way it stands when alerted, the way it walks with the same march, those are the Man on Fire's boss fight animations. Similarly, the Trackers use the same animations from the Skulls, both their in-game running animation and their Honeybee cutscene animations.

I bring up the budget in conjunction with the MGS characters because that's a big part of why we didn't see any MGS characters come back. We didn't see any MGSV characters because that costs a good deal of money. It's why the cast of actually new voice actors was so minimal, and why so many of the basic voices you hear are the same MGO3 voice files already recorded years back with MGSV and MGO3. It's why the Mother Base invasion conveniently cuts just before Big Boss screams, because they couldn't credit Kiefer Sutherland in the game and certainly couldn't afford to hire him back for the shoestring budget Survive had.

In contrast, Undead Nightmare has the budget to bring so many of the characters back, and a lot of the actors who did the motion capture and voice work for these characters are TV actors, some of whom have been around the block. The big draw is that the game played as it was, a zombie DLC version of Red Dead Redemption at DLC prices and did so in a way that still felt like a Red Dead Redemption experience.

Metal Gear Survive is Metal Gear in name alone. And that's kind of a big thing going against it because for better and worse, emphasis on worse, people put that IP name on a pedestal, and as someone who ultimately liked Survive but has become indifferent towards it, I do personally view using Metal Gear in the name as kind of a cynical way to simultaneously bank off the IP AND have a blanket excuse to reuse all of MGSV's assets as opposed to spending hundreds of thousands cobbling up new assets, creating entirely new gameplay models and motion capturing a whole new slew of animations. Calling Survive Metal Gear was the pretext Konami needed to re-purpose so much of MGSV.

As for gameplay, Undead Nightmare has a little more variety going for it, with an emphasis purely on the missions as opposed to things like resource gathering, crafting, and so forth. I'd say I had more fun playing Survive than I did Undead Nightmare, but Survive gets tedious after a while, whereas Undead Nightmare is a bit more consistent and has a more definitive ending.
Posted Image

Edgelord
Member Avatar
A nutjob without borders

I prefer survive over rdr nightmare definitely. Survive could work if they focused on what makes it work rather than focus on what makes it shit. They were onto something and id give the sequel a chance if they get someone with a sense of direction, good morale and time to develop properly instead of having less than 2 years max to throw something out quickly.

The kants definitely have something that "could" be unique
BEFORE THY BECOMES SALTY WITH THE TEARS OF BEING OFFENDED.
BEHOLD THE FIELD IN WHICH I GROW MY FUCKS TO GIVE.
LAY THINE EYES UPON IT AND SEE THAT IT IS BARREN

The Departed
Member Avatar
Your friendly neighborhood truck

Tbh I doubt we'll ever get a Surviveance sequel. Even if it had a budget of two dollars, it still only sold just a lil over 200K copies, and the last Metal Gear property to sell that low was MGA2, which was why we never saw an MGA3 (fucking shame that was...).

In general, Surviveance probably would've done better if it had more villains and bosses.

I keep saying the missed opportunities in Surviveance killed it.

1. Do a boss fight with Reeve at the start of the game on top of that area with all the cover spots on the top of the ruins. Then make him an ally.

2. Do a boss fight Dan when he ambushes Captain Customizable in front of Sally. Then make him retreat after he's nearly beaten.

3. Do bosses against surviving Charon Corps members that Seth corrupted instead of just having him kill everyone. Seth should've done to some of them what the Dust did to him and turn them into allies, like either as crazed humans who can't be saved or as crystal people like him with cool abilities.

And Seth should've been around a lot longer and felt like a proper near-final boss. He literally reveals himself and then gets beat the very next mission.

Also making the protagonist a mute didn't work either. You could've done so much with an MSF soldier having to team up with a Zoff soldier when fucking Reeve was with the people trying to kill Biggie and mowing down all their buddies.
Posted Image
Dirty Duck

Duck as sake no bidibgeybfbfhailhydradrinkn:(

awards and such

r.i.p. to the coolest dude we'll ever know :gary:

dg1995
Member Avatar
Jail Guard
Yep lack of bossfights was also my complain about it which I remember saying it when I beat the main story.

Well they are adding some new enemy types in this game in the following months but I'm not sure if we ever get a new bossfight.
BTW from what I remember Survive was more successful than MGS HD collection and MGS 3 on 3DS.

Jassassino
Member Avatar
Avocados at law.

Undead Nightmare is good.
Posted Image
Piss off, ghost!
Posted Image
Rest in Peace, OS.

Welcome to the Gallery

Ef9 o shea
Member Avatar
Hadoken

Dg1995 you should look into that buddy , as from what I remember survive sales were poor
Posted Image

Doakes
Member Avatar

dg1995
Jun 12 2018, 07:04:48 PM
BTW from what I remember Survive was more successful than MGS HD collection and MGS 3 on 3DS.
You heard incorrectly, dg1995 - Combined on 3 consoles, Survive has sold roughly 270K copies. 170K on PS4, 40K on Xbox and before steamcharts was discontinued, it showed Survive's PC sales at 60K copies sold. Given how unpopular MGS tends to be on PC compared to consoles, that number is highly unlikely to have increased in any meaningful way since then.

Every single platform that the MGS HD Edition sold on sold higher on that one platform alone than the entirety of Survive's hard & digital sales. On PS3, it sold 1.63 million copies alone. On Xbox, it sold 1.08 million copies. And on PS Vita, it sold over 440K copies.

Even the MGS HD Legacy Edition sold more on PS3 alone than Survive at a whopping 420K copies sold.

Snake Eater on 3DS ALSO sold more on a single handheld console than the combined numbers of Survive. On 3DS, it sold 420K copies.

The only Metal Gear properties that Survive's sales have exceeded are the following:

Metal Gear Ac!d 2, which only sold 170K copies on the PSP in 2006.

Metal Gear Solid Integral, which only solid 110K copies in 1999, and I believe it was only sold in Japan.

Metal Gear: Ghost Babel, which only sold 70K copies on the Gameboy in the year 2000.
Posted Image

dg1995
Member Avatar
Jail Guard
Sorry my bad. I thought that MGS HD collection has failed due to releasing at the same day as the Call Of Duty game in 2012.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
Learn More · Register for Free
« Previous Topic · Metal Gear Survive · Next Topic »
Add Reply

User Color Code
Admin Global Moderator Forum Moderator Member Validating Banned