Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Why join MGSF?
  • MGSF is officially the internet's largest MGS discussion board. So, you can enjoy your time with an active community of dedicated MGS fans.
  • Want more than just MGS talk? MGSF has a huge off-topic section for Opinions, Sport, Music, Movies, and other video games!
  • Organizations! Create your own or join an existing one. Organizations are sub-communities of the forum designed so you can gather with your closest friends on the board.
  • Blog! As a member, you have the ability to create your own blog on the forum for other users and/or guests to read.
  • Our forum also has an Arts sections for you to express your creative side, as well as a Digital Art forum in the computer corner.
  • We also have a Kojima Productions forum for members who wish to discuss KP-related issues outside of MGS.
Join our community today!

If you are already a member, please log in to your account to access all of your features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Kojima: "The important thing is the process of getting to the answer"
Topic Started: Jun 30 2018, 06:29:58 AM (315 Views)
NateDog
Member Avatar
We have arrived.
Didn't see it posted yet, apologies if it was.

https://variety.com/2018/gaming/features/hideo-kojima-death-stranding-interview-1202858441/

Quote:

The tantalizing teases for “Death Stranding” show that, if anything, Kojima seems to be creating work even more immersed in the surreal. But he said he’s mindful that his work needs to straddle a line.

“I want to keep the balance between authorship and having it be entertainment,” he said. “Sometimes I see very artistic movies, independent films, but I do want to a go to a midpoint so that people who enjoy indie films and Marvel films can both enjoy this game.”

Each of Kojima’s works also seems to highlight the shrinking distance between a game and a film. But Kojima himself said while he’d love to one day create his own movie, he doesn’t see the two ever completely merging.

Quote:

That secrecy surrounding the game is in part, Kojima said, a reaction to the social, open, publicity-driven world we all live in.

“We live in a time of social networks,” Kojima said. “In this time, people just want immediate answers, but not only answers, they also want to know what they feel. This is good, this is bad. This is a game I should like. This is a game I shouldn’t like. They want answers for what they should think.”

But Kojima has come to believe that publicity-driven approach to a game release is a bad idea.

“It’s like a math problem, where knowing the answer is not that important,” he said. “The important thing is the process of getting to the answer.”

Marketing of games create a missed opportunity, he said, it reveals too much of a game and destroys the most important part of what makes a game a game, the interactive journey.

“I don’t want to take away the most fun part for the players.”

Sometimes the things Kojima says are a little too much for me, particularly when he's clearly overstating about what his next game is going to be like, but I can't disagree with anything said here personally.
Watch this space.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

The Departed
Member Avatar
Your friendly neighborhood truck

Yeah, it's kind of a "decode for your self and don't fret" kinda deal. And there's definitely a lot of that where people want a lot of more ambiguous shit spelled out for them.

But I do think certain answers being sought are reasonable. Like we all have preferences in the games we play and kinda want games to tickle those preferences.

I am okay going into Dead Steaks basically having zero clue what the hell, but I do wanna know what kinda game it's gonna be and how the gameplay will fare at the end of the day.

Then again, story in games grows less important for me every passing game I play.

Basically, I think it's perfectly reasonable to wanna know what kinda game something is, but also perfectly reasonable to go in not knowing the story. I went into Annihilation knowing nothing and was left floored, confused and horrified in a mostly good way. (Bar the body horror shit, Jesus Christ someone actually fainted during that part...)
Posted Image
Dirty Duck

Duck as sake no bidibgeybfbfhailhydradrinkn:(

awards and such

r.i.p. to the coolest dude we'll ever know :gary:

Psajdak
Light Infantry
Usually, I don't want to know anything about story, and it is why I will avoid any further trailers before game is out.

That being said, no matter how weird looking, and original it is, I doubt it will actually be so much of a shock to players like, for instance, MGS2 was, primarily because in early 2000s Internet wasn't as spread as now, and you couldn't desentisize yourself by being exposed to countless disgusting and bizzare shit on some suspicious sites.

The only thing I do wish for it, though, is that it doesn't have (much) filler missions, that as much of game feels memorable and designed with attention, and that story actually have sense in the end with nothing left to be answered in sequel, or not answered at all.
Validated after 4 years.

Webbie
Member Avatar
THUG ROSE!
That last part must be referring to MGSV. Fuck, we knew EVERYTHING about that game before it came out. I would've been happy knowing less.
Posted Image

Novitch
Member Avatar
Knight
Even if Kojima keeps things vague that would only hurt the game's sales. People wanna know what they are getting into before buying, games are not cheap, and if Kojima thinks he can keep things secret like how he did in the past he is severly mistaken. Times change and social media has us connected like never before.
Edited by Novitch, Jul 11 2018, 09:15:12 PM.

Silent Assassin
Member Avatar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Keeping story vague is fine by me. Keeping gameplay, not so much. You're not spoiling anything by showing a small section that showcases gameplay features.

But here, have some merchandise while you wait.
Edited by Silent Assassin, Jul 12 2018, 12:09:11 PM.
Posted Image

Edgelord
Member Avatar
A nutjob without borders

Only reason tpp was spoiled ao much before release because all of us weirdos over analysed every picture and video more than several times. Majority of gamers aren't that dedicated and arent online talking about games otherwise we'd have more than 23,000 people on mgsf over the years
Edited by Edgelord, Jul 13 2018, 11:59:58 AM.
BEFORE THY BECOMES SALTY WITH THE TEARS OF BEING OFFENDED.
BEHOLD THE FIELD IN WHICH I GROW MY FUCKS TO GIVE.
LAY THINE EYES UPON IT AND SEE THAT IT IS BARREN

Silent Assassin
Member Avatar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I'd say the reason is becase MGSV didn't have much to offer, story wise. Every MGS game is over analysed in the community. You should have seen all the MGS4 theories. MGSV was just a "what you see is what you get" game, unlike the others.

But even without MGSV, Kojima likes to show off a bit too much of his games. Probably because his games are announced early.

Keep story exposure to a minimum. Figuring out what's happening while playing is half the fun. But gameplay needs extensive coverage. After the MGSV fiasco, you'd think Kojima would try and get the fans' trust back, even though YongYea's crowd defends his every dicision. But he's doing everything he did with V.

Hype a game we know nothing about and pretend it's the next best thing since sliced bread. While I'm sure it'll be great, seriously, he needs to step it up in the gameplay department. I'd like to see how it plays. Is it a stealth game? How many weapons do we have? What enemies will we be fighting? Can we crouch or go prone? Things like that.
Posted Image

The Departed
Member Avatar
Your friendly neighborhood truck

If I can't take my ghost baby and swing it around like a mace at Maddy Mads, then I'm already disappointed.
Posted Image
Dirty Duck

Duck as sake no bidibgeybfbfhailhydradrinkn:(

awards and such

r.i.p. to the coolest dude we'll ever know :gary:

Psajdak
Light Infantry
It wouldn't surprise me if we actually got to upgrade Babyton Radar.
Validated after 4 years.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Death Stranding · Next Topic »
Add Reply

User Color Code
Admin · Global Moderator · Forum Moderator · Member · Validating · Banned